Moderating Baseball Talk

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Moderating Baseball Talk

Post by TheoSqua »

As the quality of the Cardinals team and their win-loss record trend in the wrong direction we've noticed the tone of posts on the Baseball Talk forum have trended right along with it. This is something I feel the mods are struggling with. We agree and are also frustrated and we're trying to find a line between allowing enough negativity on the forum to allow everyone to express their frustration without the forum turning into something that us unbearable to read and not worth visiting.

That line has been crossed and we feel we need to do something about it.

We've already issued warnings and sent PMs with suggestions on how to improve conversation. Going forward the mod team is going to be stricter on what is posted in Baseball Talk. We will issue warnings, modify and delete posts, and ultimately ban users who aren't willing to cooperate.

I would go through what is good content and what isn't, but we've already done that. And we've all been here long enough that we know what's a good post and what isn't. All i'll say ist this:

- Posters are allowed to be frustrated with the team, criticize management, and disagree with the direction of the team.
- Posters are allowed to defend the team, be sympathetic to the challenges of managing with the team, and disagree with some of the criticism.
- Doing either to a fault, posting just to disagree without adding to the conversation, or attacking individual posters is not going to be tolerated. Us mods aren't perfect judges, but we're going to do our best to keep the forum a fun place to visit.

We're all baseball fans and we all want the Cardinals to be successful. Let's not waste a great place like GRB on complaining, negativity, and criticizing each other. It's not a place to attack other posters or argue to the point of semantics so that you can "win" a conversation. It doesn't matter if your a giant homer or hugely critical of the team, this applies to everyone.

I'm going to leave this thread open because i'd personally welcome feedback on the subject from everyone else. But i'd prefer this not devolve into a thread accusing/attacking individual posters of anything, so please keep your comments at a high level. The the thread degrades quickly i'm going to lock it.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Re: Moderating Baseball Talk

Post by TimChopsula »

Can the train stay lame?

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

TimJomsula wrote:Can the train stay lame?
Of course.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Moderating is a hard job! Thanks to all the mods in their efforts to provide a good place to talk Cards baseball... even when the Cards themselves are frustrating to talk about.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

no doubt the crappy play leads to subpar discussions.

michael got the glory years...tax cuts for the rich and everything is grand. kyle gets the recession.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Well said Theo

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Well said. Any threads over 5 pages I just skip over because it's usually flame wars over semantics and nitpicking.

Collectively there's a lot of critical thinking it just needs directed

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lol

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I need to delete the "neutron bomb" post that's sitting on my home computer.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I blame myself.