GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 16 19, 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: August 30 17, 1:40 pm 
Veteran Player

...so far this year, by WAR:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/albert-pujols-is-the-worst-player-in-baseball/

I still like him, wish he was doing better. Still have my #5 jersey.

PostPosted: August 30 17, 2:29 pm 
Everday Unicorn

If you told me this, even just a few years ago when his decline was obvious, I would not have believed you. Not the guy I'd watched play for over a decade. At a minimum, I thought, is eye and on base skills would provide a floor for his value, even once the power diminished. He has a .274 OBP now.

It's sad yet impressive that he's putting up big negative WAR numbers without setting foot on the field, where negative defensive value can put you in the red. His -2 WAR is strictly from the bat alone.

PostPosted: August 30 17, 2:31 pm 
Next Gen Wart

I guess all those scouting reports that he would get too slow to play the game were correct. They just didn't account for the 10 years before it happened.

PostPosted: August 30 17, 2:58 pm 
Hall Of Famer

heyzeus wrote:
If you told me this, even just a few years ago when his decline was obvious, I would not have believed you. Not the guy I'd watched play for over a decade. At a minimum, I thought, is eye and on base skills would provide a floor for his value, even once the power diminished. He has a .274 OBP now.

It's sad yet impressive that he's putting up big negative WAR numbers without setting foot on the field, where negative defensive value can put you in the red. His -2 WAR is strictly from the bat alone.

Someone smarter on WAR than me can answer this for sure, but players do get some kind of WAR penalty for being DH only.

PostPosted: August 30 17, 5:47 pm 
gone fission

pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Someone smarter on WAR than me can answer this for sure, but players do get some kind of WAR penalty for being DH only.

Correct. His -2.0 fWAR this year is currently comprised of:

-4.0 BsR runs (on the bases)
-23.3 Off runs (hitting only)
-15.1 Def runs (DH positional adjustment)

There's still a month left in the season, so the positional adjustment will end up around -17 or -18 if he plays the rest of the way. So he's potentially not actually at his lowest WAR total for the year yet.

PostPosted: August 30 17, 7:48 pm 
Same Ole

Hey mang... it's about R-E-S-P-E-C-T

PostPosted: August 30 17, 9:19 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Swirls wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

There's still a month left in the season, so the positional adjustment will end up around -17 or -18 if he plays the rest of the way. So he's potentially not actually at his lowest WAR total for the year yet.

I get -42.4. I guess WAR doesn't work that way.

PostPosted: August 30 17, 9:38 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

lukethedrifter wrote:
Swirls wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

I get -42.4. I guess WAR doesn't work that way.

runs, not wins. theres a conversion

PostPosted: August 30 17, 10:48 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

And on cue he hits two bombs to tie Thome.

heyzeus wrote:
If you told me this, even just a few years ago when his decline was obvious, I would not have believed you.

I fully expected injuries to end his career. Never expected him to make it to healthy ineptitude.

PostPosted: August 31 17, 12:29 am 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

David Ortiz was +4.5 fWAR the year of his retirement parade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next