GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 21 19, 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: December 31 18, 4:27 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19336
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Weird how we're dogging current Cardinals legends, and wishing nothing but the best for former Cardinals legends.

Wainwright isn't half the legend Albert is.


Well, nobody is.

He's still a good guy, been a great teammate, and a huge contributor to a bunch of successful Cardinals teams. Where is the line drawn between "screw this guy" and "I'll worship this guy forever"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 31 18, 4:31 pm 
Offline
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
User avatar

Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Posts: 23389
Location: Raptured
Socnorb11 wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Weird how we're dogging current Cardinals legends, and wishing nothing but the best for former Cardinals legends.

Wainwright isn't half the legend Albert is.


Well, nobody is.

He's still a good guy, been a great teammate, and a huge contributor to a bunch of successful Cardinals teams. Where is the line drawn between "screw this guy" and "I'll worship this guy forever"?

Somewhere between Adam Wainwright and Albert Pujols.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 31 18, 4:35 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19336
I disagree, but alright.

I don't care of Pujols succeeds or fails at this point. I enjoyed and appreciate what he did for the Cardinals. Waino is still part of my team. I got his back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 31 18, 4:53 pm 
Offline
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"
User avatar

Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Posts: 22868
Location: Thinking of the Children
People would hate Pujols if he was on the Cardinals right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 31 18, 5:21 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 25 06, 9:48 am
Posts: 10674
Location: Appleton, WI
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
People would hate Pujols if he was on the Cardinals right now.


Especially if the Cardinals were still on the hook for 87 million.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 31 18, 5:34 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19336
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
People would hate Pujols if he was on the Cardinals right now.


I agree. They'd probably be praising Waino if he played for someone else, too.

I think that's just the way it goes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 1 19, 12:38 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Posts: 10825
Location: Following AOC on Twitter
Socnorb11 wrote:
Weird how we're dogging current Cardinals legends, and wishing nothing but the best for former Cardinals legends.

It's because Wainwright is white.

Pitchers are a bit different from position players, because you need so many of them. You can't hide horse [expletive] pitchers, but merely mediocre ones aren't a problem. Wainwright seems like a great guy, who arguably has enough talent to be given the last spot on a pitching staff. They need to find some pitchers who can get high leverage outs still, but for example if Wainwright had been a healthy (and bad) reliever a year ago, the narc story about Bud Norris and Jordan Hicks doesn't happen, because you've got a non-jerk veteran in Wainwright making sure Hicks doesn't go Ankiel or Taveras on you. If Wainwright ends up pitching in the 8th inning of a tie ball game though, then the BFIBs drop the façade.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 1 19, 9:46 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6289
Location: Chicago, IL
greenback44 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Weird how we're dogging current Cardinals legends, and wishing nothing but the best for former Cardinals legends.

It's because Wainwright is white.


Are you saying there's some kind of reverse-racism among baseball fans, in which the traitorous Dominican gets a longer leash and more fond sentiment than the All-American looking white guy who stuck around?

Socnorb11 wrote:
Where is the line drawn between "screw this guy" and "I'll worship this guy forever"?


I don't know exactly but for me it doesn't have anything to do with where or how the guy chooses to pursue his career or what laundry he wears.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 1 19, 11:16 am 
Offline
There's someone in my head but it's not me
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Posts: 42615
Location: Somewhere back in my long ago
Hoping to be there in June. He should get one hell of a standing O.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 1 19, 1:33 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19336
33anda3rd wrote:


I don't know exactly but for me it doesn't have anything to do with where or how the guy chooses to pursue his career or what laundry he wears.



I don't really care where he chooses to play either. I definitely root for players who wear the birds on the bat though. I don't have a particular beef with Pujols, but I want him to make an out every time he plays the Cardinals this year, because I'm a Cardinals fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Amoco Sign, Cardspitching715, danh35, dmarx114, Majestic-12 [Bot], obucard, stlouie_lipp, TheoSqua, Zamboni and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group