Cleveland Going For 21st Straight Win

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Cleveland Going For 21st Straight Win

Post by Famous Mortimer »

The all time record is some garbage where a rained off game that was called a draw was the 13th of 26. I reckon if Cleveland win again, it ought to be the record.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Famous Mortimer wrote:The all time record is some garbage where a rained off game that was called a draw was the 13th of 26. I reckon if Cleveland win again, it ought to be the record.
John McGraw's great great grandson will lead a march yelling 'YOU WILL NOT REPLACE US.' No thanks.

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

Just happy they eclipsed Billy Beane.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Famous Mortimer wrote:The all time record is some garbage where a rained off game that was called a draw was the 13th of 26. I reckon if Cleveland win again, it ought to be the record.
I heard about that, and that's not accurate. I can't remember the teams involved, but the 13th game in the streak was rained out at a draw. The next day, they replayed the same game and the streaking team won. So, there was no official tie. The original game was marked off the books -- but the stats still count for some reason, which is why you can find the info about it, replayed and won by the streaking team, so it's very much a legit win streak.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Fat Strat wrote:
I heard about that, and that's not accurate. I can't remember the teams involved, but the 13th game in the streak was rained out at a draw. The next day, they replayed the same game and the streaking team won. So, there was no official tie. The original game was marked off the books -- but the stats still count for some reason, which is why you can find the info about it, replayed and won by the streaking team, so it's very much a legit win streak.
That's not what they were saying on MLB Network this morning. Apparently the Elias Sports Bureau got involved, and it sounded like the game was called after 8 innings due to darkness (which was actually pretty common back in that era - there were other games during that streak that were called after 7 innings or 8.1 innings) but was never made up. It would have been made up had it been necessary in affecting the final standings.

Just like today, if a game is postponed and can't easily be made up over the course of the rest of the season but could potentially affect the overall standings/playoff teams, they'll make it up after the season ends but before the playoffs start. If the makeup game has no playoff implications, the teams won't make it up. That's why you occasionally see teams only play 161 games in a season.

The Giants' win steak included several double-headers, sometimes on consecutive days. It does not appear that the double-header played the day after that 13th game was for a makeup game.

No clue how correct it is, I'm just going by what Steve Phillips and CJ Nitkowski were saying on the air. And everyone knows how much of an idiot Steve Phillips is, so take the above with a grain of salt.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Apparently the Elias Sports Bureau got involved, and it sounded like the game was called after 8 innings due to darkness (which was actually pretty common back in that era - there were other games during that streak that were called after 7 innings or 8.1 innings) but was never made up.
I heard the rep from Elias yesterday talking about it on a radio show and he said very specifically that the same game was replayed the next day.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Fat Strat wrote:
Apparently the Elias Sports Bureau got involved, and it sounded like the game was called after 8 innings due to darkness (which was actually pretty common back in that era - there were other games during that streak that were called after 7 innings or 8.1 innings) but was never made up.
I heard the rep from Elias yesterday talking about it on a radio show and he said very specifically that the same game was replayed the next day.
Interesting. Chalk up another one to Steve Phillips being an idiot.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Swirls wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
And with that, we are officially out of chalk.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Swirls wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
That we can agree on.

It was a fascinating interview if you can find it -- Mike and Mike, ESPN, Wed. morning. It would have been about 7:45-8 am central time as I pulled up to the office. I remember sitting in my car listening for awhile because it was fascinating. Worth a listen. The Elias rep was outstanding.