GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 20 18, 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: September 12 17, 8:49 pm 
Offline
Snayke's Bottomline
User avatar

Joined: August 3 16, 9:44 am
Posts: 3821
In the midst of another dumpy season in Philly, Rhys Hoskins -- a guy who won the Eastern League MVP and is known by fans who pay attention to more than just Top 100 lists -- has made history.



Yes, a 24-year-old who never showed up on a Top 100 list that I could find is hitting .290/.420/.722 with 15 homers in less than 140 plate appearances. BABIP you ask? Nope. It's only .265. He walks and strikes out at the same rates as Matt Carpenter. In other words, Hoskins is awesome.


Last edited by Farewell Friends on September 13 17, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 12 17, 8:59 pm 
Offline
-go birds
User avatar

Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Posts: 28015
the curse of being a 1B only prospect, but yea, he was seemingly always underrated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 12 17, 11:27 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Posts: 19632
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Farewell Friends wrote:
BABIP you ask? Nope. It's only .265.

It doesn't take away from your overall point, but of course his BABIP sucks - half of his hits are homers. It's basically identical to 2001 Bonds.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 13 17, 12:40 am 
Offline
Veteran Player
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 1204
Location: portlandbugle.com
Juiced ball? Morrison, Smoak, hell--Molina. Lots of power this year.

Not to totally [expletive] on the guy, I'm just saying we're in a roid-y kind of year, and that could be a factor.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 13 17, 4:43 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Posts: 6860
Location: South County, St. Louis
Bellinger's going to be ROTY but I think that DeJong and then Hoskins will be right behind him in the voting. Not sure if there is any other top contenders in the NL.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 13 17, 4:45 am 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 14752
Location: Columbus, OH
JoeMcKim wrote:
Bellinger's going to be ROTY but I think that DeJong and then Hoskins will be right behind him in the voting. Not sure if there is any other top contenders in the NL.


Bellinger for sure. Bell from the Pirates has had a good year too but overshadowed by the LA hype.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 13 17, 5:07 am 
Offline
Snayke's Bottomline
User avatar

Joined: August 3 16, 9:44 am
Posts: 3821
haltz wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:
BABIP you ask? Nope. It's only .265.

It doesn't take away from your overall point, but of course his BABIP sucks - half of his hits are homers. It's basically identical to 2001 Bonds.


Yeah, I just threw it out there since it's the reflexive thing to look at when a guy is playing out of his mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 13 17, 7:09 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Posts: 6860
Location: South County, St. Louis
CardsofSTL wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:
Bellinger's going to be ROTY but I think that DeJong and then Hoskins will be right behind him in the voting. Not sure if there is any other top contenders in the NL.


Bellinger for sure. Bell from the Pirates has had a good year too but overshadowed by the LA hype.


So it'll be something like this:

1. Bellinger
2. Bell
3. DeJong

and Hoskins at either 4 or 5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 13 17, 7:29 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: June 5 06, 10:01 am
Posts: 9479
Hoskins only came out of nowhere if you follow prospects lists. Everyone who scouts the Phillies system loved him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 13 17, 7:43 am 
Offline
Snayke's Bottomline
User avatar

Joined: August 3 16, 9:44 am
Posts: 3821
jagtrader wrote:
Hoskins only came out of nowhere if you follow prospects lists. Everyone who scouts the Phillies system loved him.


So basically, to the average fan or people who don't closely follow the Phillies system, Hoskins has come out of nowhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group