Adam Wainwright ... as closer, starter, closer?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Adam Wainwright ... as closer, starter, closer?

Post by Popeye_Card »

I think we create a new role for him called the sLROser.

Starter. Long relief. Righties only. Closer. Whatever. The man can do it, but maybe not necessarily well in his advancing age.

There's no way I would ever release Wainwright though, just out of respect for what he has done for this team. Hide him deep in the bullpen if you need to keep him on the roster. Assistant pitching coach. Whatever.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Adam Wainwright (elbow) is expected to throw one more bullpen session before being activated from the disabled list.
Wainwright threw a bullpen session Thursday, which Cardinals manager Mike Matheny caught himself. "He got better as he went," said Matheny." I thought it was pretty good." It's unclear when Wainwright will throw again, but it likely will be this weekend. The Cards haven't revealed what his role will be when he does return, but relieving is seen as more likely than starting. "It could be seven innings. It could be one inning," Wainwright said. "My arm feels like it’s supposed to — long or short."
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Sep 15 - 12:13 PM

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I'd rather he rehab in Memphis than pitch again in MLB this year.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I'd rather he rehab in Memphis than pitch again in MLB this year.
Memphis is one win away from finishing their season with a championship...

haiku4u
AAA Minor League Player

Post by haiku4u »

Lost his heat and keys.
Gotta pee all of the time.
It sucks to be old.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Hoot45 wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I'd rather he rehab in Memphis than pitch again in MLB this year.
He should pitch that game and end his career with a championship.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
He should pitch that game and end his career with a championship.
Freeze the final batter with a called-strike-three curve.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

Wait until the playoffs... .get into the elimination game.... then run Wainwright out there in the bottom of the 10th!

You just need the right managing touch

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:It's also not the time to be giving a guy who throws 59 mph curves and eephus pitches a chance to get on track. I'm not referring to the aesthetics of Flaherty's stuff, -- he's got an 11 percent swinging strike rate. The league average for starters is 9 percent. In Wainwright's last three starts, it was 5 percent. No, swinging strikes aren't everything, but his arm is livelier and his stuff is sharper. I'd rather he be in the bullpen right now, but I just don't see a compelling case for letting Wainwright start.
I agree with that too. I'm just saying, people - not just you - have fallen in love with stuff. Stuff is great and all, but the main objective is the same for all pitchers and electric stuff and effectively pitching don't always go hand in hand. It certainly helps to have stuff, but it's not a necessity, relatively speaking, to be a gooderish pitcher.

ETA: I include myself in that category that has fallen in love with stuff. And, then there's Martinez who has crushed my notion that stuff alone is enough to be a top tier pitcher.

Yeah but ... Waino at this point has anti-stuff but apparently hasn't discovered his inner Jamie Moyer.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

This FO was perfectly fine with velocity the last few times he pitched last month. Otherwise, if they thought they had any chance in the world to do something productive this year, they should've shelved him. How many competitive teams would allow a starter to go out there with the smoke and mirrors he had, while pennant-chasing? They waited until Adam pulled himself, essentially..

No. This Organization has broken formulas all over this roster. I fully expect them to shove an aged Waino down our throats for another season in '18. I mean, all Adam has to do is watch a little tape, flip a ball to his wife, and voila BSOHL!