Moustakas the perfect guy to go after in free agency?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: Moustakas the perfect guy to go after in free agency?

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

JoeMcKim wrote:Moose is in the middle of a 37 homer season, I would say that's better then anyone currently on the Cardinals.
and 1/2 the WAR of Gyorko.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Gonna be a dogfight between president Moe and Dayton Moore for who has the most competitive second place offer.

I like Moose and I think his power moves the needle. He could also slide to 1B the back end of his deal. But you probably have to trade one of Wong/Jerko/Marp and also bring a good bat in elsewhere by trade. I want no part of Hosmer.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Free agent market pretty much sucks this offseason. The Cardinals would probably be better served exploring trade opportunities; especially since they have a bit of a logjam in the outfield; they need to move some personnel.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Moustakas' stats are really underwhelming when you look past one year of HR totals. Surprising. I don't have any real interest in him. Gyorko is maybe a little worse offensively, but much better defensively. Overall, they're close to a wash, so go with the guy that you already have on a very favorable contract.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that we're going to try to upgrade the team through the pitching staff. The club is going to want to run Pham out there again -- for good reason. Fowler is having an incredible season and we're stuck with him anyway. Some combo of Piscotty, Bader, Grichuk, Sierra, or whoever survives through the offseason can play RF and be productive.
Last edited by Fat Strat on September 23 17, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Super hard pass on both of those guys

I think same, and I know I like both guys more than you. I like Moose more, but he still seems like more of what we have already. Aim higher, like Donaldson.

I agree with this.

Isn't Donaldson a free agent this off-season?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He's under control for one more year.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Fat Strat wrote:Moustakas' stats are really underwhelming when you look past one year of HR totals. Surprising. I don't have any real interest in him. Gyorko is maybe a little worse offensively, but much better defensively. Overall, they're close to a wash, so go with the guy that you already have on a very favorable contract.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that we're going to try to upgrade the team through the pitching staff. The club is going to want to run Pham out there again -- for good reason. Fowler is having an incredible season and we're stuck with him anyway. Some combo of Piscotty, Bader, Grichuk, Sierra, or whoever survives through the offseason can play RF and be productive.
I am more than happy with Bader/Sierra in CF, and then Pham/Fowler in LF/RF. Basically, get Fowler out of CF.

Get a SS.

jwill182
AA Minor League Player

Post by jwill182 »

Moustakas is insanely overrated. As is Hosmer. I have a feeling that Moustakas is about to pull a Sandoval by signing to big money somewhere else and turning into hot garbage. And I hope to God that somewhere else isn't St. Louis.

Hosmer doesn't seem any better than what we have...so definitely no thanks there.

Going out and signing someone just to sign someone is what got us Mike Leake...so I'm not in favor of settling for Moustakas just so that we can say we "added" someone at 3rd. We're already stuck with Cecil's contract, and Fowler's as well (although he was worth it this season, I don't feel he'll be worth it years 3-5).

But, if you think about what the Cards have done the past few off-seasons, we've sucked at almost every aspect. Failing to sign the guys we really want, signing other options for more than they're worth, not addressing areas of need, relying too much on players that weren't ready...so I don't expect much better from them this coming off-season.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

jwill182 wrote:Moustakas is insanely overrated. As is Hosmer. I have a feeling that Moustakas is about to pull a Sandoval by signing to big money somewhere else and turning into hot garbage. And I hope to God that somewhere else isn't St. Louis.

Hosmer doesn't seem any better than what we have...so definitely no thanks there.

Going out and signing someone just to sign someone is what got us Mike Leake...so I'm not in favor of settling for Moustakas just so that we can say we "added" someone at 3rd. We're already stuck with Cecil's contract, and Fowler's as well (although he was worth it this season, I don't feel he'll be worth it years 3-5).

But, if you think about what the Cards have done the past few off-seasons, we've sucked at almost every aspect. Failing to sign the guys we really want, signing other options for more than they're worth, not addressing areas of need, relying too much on players that weren't ready...so I don't expect much better from them this coming off-season.
Please provide examples of where the Cards failed to sign the guys they really wanted to last year, where they didn't address areas of need, and where they relied too much on players who weren't ready.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

The problem is that they DID sign the guys they wanted.

Not the guys they needed.