Trivia Question

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Blakesly
Single A Minor League Player

Re: Trivia Question

Post by Blakesly »

Mike Trout, Paul Goldschmidt, Andrew McCutchen, Carlos Beltran, and Matt Kemp are my guesses.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Mookie Betts? I don't think he ever got his OBP that high.

TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

All 5 have been named.

Trout, McCutchen, Goldschmidt, Wright, Ramirez are the answers.

Beltran reached a .400 OBP but did not qualify that season.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

So I do a nerdy trivia game online called Learned League. Occasionally they have one-day trivia contests on a subject that are incredibly specific and pretty challenging. Today's contest is on the 1998 homerun race. I figured GRB might enjoy it (some of the questions will be easier for us, as Cardinals fans). I'll provide answers later.

1. How many home runs did Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa combine to hit in the 1998 regular season?

2. Finishing a distant third in the National League to McGwire and Sosa, which NL West slugger socked exactly 50 dingers in 1998, for perhaps the most forgotten 50-homer season of all time?

3. Sosa, the 1998 NL MVP, was traded twice before he reached the Cubs. What outfielder, the 1987 AL MVP, was traded from the Cubs in their acquisition of Sosa?

4. Sammy Sosa owns three of the top six single-season home run marks in MLB history, yet didn't lead the league in any of those three seasons. At least one player could commiserate: the man who once hit 54 home runs in a season without even leading his own team. Name this Hall of Famer, who was portrayed by Thomas Jane in an HBO dramatization.

5. In 1998, a restaurant became a corporate sponsor for a section in Busch Stadium's left field bleachers, with rules stipulating that each time the Cardinals hit a home run there, everyone in attendance would win what specific food item for free? The section still exists under its original name, despite McGwire retiring after the 2001 season.

6. Less heralded than Roger Maris' mark of 61, the National League single-season home run record (also broken in 1998, of course) had been set at 56 by which Hall of Famer? His record for most RBI in a season still stands today.

7. The home run chase was so culturally relevant that both McGwire and Sosa appeared as characters on Saturday Night Live. Name any of the three men who played the sluggers, one as McGwire in 1998, the other two in a 2005 parody of the Congressional steroid hearings.

8. "Now it's your turn to hit the jonrón." Soon after breaking the record, Sosa began saying this line in a commercial promoting American tourism to what baseball-loving country?

9. Both players utilized iconic (and frequent) home run celebrations in 1998. The more unusual of them was McGwire's, which involved him hitting his Cardinals teammates in which body part?

10. Sosa's celebration, meanwhile, involved a dugout routine that finished with him holding up two fingers in a V-shape to the camera, in honor of what legendary Cubs figure who had passed away that February?

11. One of the things that made the record chase so easy to follow was the proliferation of NL Central games on cable television. Which Chicago-based channel broadcasted most of Sammy Sosa's homers to millions of American households in 1998?

12. The first words many Cardinals fans heard after McGwire's record-tying home run were "Pardon me while I stand and applaud!" Which longtime broadcaster and Ford Frick Award winner made the call? First and last name are required for this answer.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

1. 136
2. Greg Vaughn
3. George Bell
4. Mickey Mantle
5. Big Mac
6. Hack Wilson
7. Don’t know
8. Dominican Republic
9. Abdomen/stomach
10. Harry Caray
11.WGN
12. Jack Buck

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:1. 136
2. Greg Vaughn
3. George Bell
4. Mickey Mantle
5. Big Mac
6. Hack Wilson
7. Don’t know
8. Dominican Republic
9. Abdomen/stomach
10. Harry Caray
11.WGN
12. Jack Buck
#8 is the forearm right?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
2. Greg Vaughn
3. George Bell
4. Mickey Mantle
5. Big Mac
6. Hack Wilson
7. Don’t know
8. Dominican Republic
9. Abdomen/stomach
10. Harry Caray
11.WGN
12. Jack Buck
#8 is the forearm right?
They'd bump forearms then punch in the stomach

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

#10 is Ernie Banks I believe. "Let's play two!"

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Ernie Banks died much more recently. We covered a story about his time with the Negro Leagues for his passing, and I've only been in KC for three and a half years.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

2. Greg Vaughn
3. George Bell
4. Mickey Mantle
5. Big Mac
6. Hack Wilson
7. Don’t know
8. Dominican Republic
9. Abdomen/stomach
10. Harry Caray
11.WGN
12. Jack Buck
Well played, sir. #7 is the only incorrect answer.