"not worthy of its own thread" offseason thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Re: "not worthy of its own thread" offseason thread

Post by Farewell Friends »

He had a 109 wRC+ as a 26-year-old, while running an extreme strikeout rate and a sub-optimal walk rate. He's just a guy. He's Chad Huffman or that other guy they signed who is like Chad Huffman. Todd Cunningham? Yeah, Todd Cunningham. These guys are dime-a-dozen players. Maybe it won't matter, but their sudden fascination with a guy who has been terrible his entire minor league career and slightly above average now is weird.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

If turning over 10-12 players on the 40-man roster means a lot of these kinds of moves, it will be disappointing. I understand some vanilla moves have to happen, I just hope the majority aren't.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Farewell Friends wrote:He had a 109 wRC+ as a 26-year-old, while running an extreme strikeout rate and a sub-optimal walk rate. He's just a guy. He's Chad Huffman or that other guy they signed who is like Chad Huffman. Todd Cunningham? Yeah, Todd Cunningham. These guys are dime-a-dozen players. Maybe it won't matter, but their sudden fascination with a guy who has been terrible his entire minor league career and slightly above average now is weird.
I would hardly consider it a "sudden fascination" to protect a guy who had a good spring and then won you a championship while hitting 31 homeruns from the Rule 5 draft if you have the capacity to do it. It's not like they woke up yesterday and just noticed he was there. He's a power hitting 3B with a good glove who finally translated his strength into results. That's why he is still in the organization at (recently turned) 26 trying to put all the pieces together. This club has a history of waiting on guys and getting some value out of late bloomers.

Again, weird to get worked up about this. They aren't announcing him as next year's starting 3B. His stock is as high as it is going to be right now. Might as well have him at your disposal when you're looking ahead to a (hopefully) busy offseason.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Again, weird to get worked up about this.
I'm not getting worked up; I'm expressing bewilderment at putting a useless player on the 40-man to protect him from the Rule 5, where he has a low probability of being selected or even kept around a full season. In the end, it's going to be a nothing move and completely meaningless in the grand scheme. I just don't see the point and their reasons for valuing him aren't valid IMO.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Medical updates

Aside from Adam Wainwright, who underwent a right elbow procedure two days after the season ended, no other players on the Cardinals' 40-man roster required surgery this month, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak confirmed.

Wainwright's elbow arthroscopy procedure went as planned, and Mozeliak said the Cardinals "are optimistic" that the 36-year-old right-hander will have a full recovery ahead of Spring Training. That recovery plan calls for six weeks of rest, followed by rehab. The timing of the surgery should allow Wainwright ample time to engage in a normal offseason program.

Matt Carpenter (right shoulder) and Kolten Wong (lower back), both of whom ended the season sidelined due to injury, were prescribed therapy by the team's medical staff. Mozeliak said there are no long-term concerns about the issues lingering for either infielder.

Aledmys Diaz, who strained his hamstring in the club's last game, is at home recovering.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Zach Duke, a 13-year veteran and one of four Cardinals due to enter free agency at the conclusion of the World Series, intends to continue pitching, and his expedited return from Tommy John surgery gave Duke the opportunity to show that he still can.

He did not engage in exploratory conversations with the Cardinals in-season about a potential extension, but noted that he would welcome a return to the organization that acquired him in July 2016.

"Obviously we'll see how things play out, but I like it here," Duke, 34, said. "I love the guys here. I've had a great experience throughout. They run a real good organization. I'd certainly love to come back."

Though he may not draw the sort of widespread interest he did when he signed a three-year, $15-million contract with the White Sox in 2014, Duke is likely to be of interest to multiple teams. The Cardinals have not publicly indicated if they will be one of them.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Farewell Friends wrote:
Again, weird to get worked up about this.
I'm not getting worked up; I'm expressing bewilderment at putting a useless player on the 40-man to protect him from the Rule 5, where he has a low probability of being selected or even kept around a full season. In the end, it's going to be a nothing move and completely meaningless in the grand scheme. I just don't see the point and their reasons for valuing him aren't valid IMO.
I'm curious what the down-side is.

Why WOULDN'T you put him on the 40-man.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Because he's not going to be picked in the Rule 5 draft.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

How do you know that? Why does it matter?

Again, what is the downside? I think some of us are having trouble understanding your beef.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He could take up a spot on the 40-man roster better served by another player.