10/12 NLDS Game 5: Cubs(Hendricks)vsNatls(Gonzalez) 7PMCT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Re: 10/12 NLDS Game 5: Cubs(Hendricks)vsNatls(Gonzalez) 7PMC

Post by Farewell Friends »

I can't believe there was no call on the backswing.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

So Jerry Layne made a judgement that Baez's backswing didn't affect Wieters:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nat ... ds-game-5/

“If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire’s judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the backswing, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and no runner shall advance on the play.”
“Backswing interference is a play where a guy is stealing or there’s a play being made a runner hindering the catch,” Layne said afterward. “It was a wild pitch and went past him. That is no longer in that particular description, in my judgment. In my judgment, the passed ball changed the whole rule around to where, in my judgment, it had nothing to do with everything. Therefore, it didn’t have any effect on it. In my judgment.”
Pretty sure the rule states that the umpire has to judge the intent of the backswing - not whether or not the catcher is effected.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The Cubs very easily could have been 1-4 in these games, and the 1 win that I'm giving them they won 3-0, and two of their runs were unearned.

But yes Cubs fans, tell me again how the Cardinals are so lucky in the playoffs.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The 4 teams left are from the 4 largest cities in America, and its not like D. C. is some small backwater. I won't be able to rub in to NFL fans this year how baseball has more parity.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

pioneer98 wrote:The 4 teams left are from the 4 largest cities in America, and its not like D. C. is some small backwater. I won't be able to rub in to NFL fans this year how baseball has more parity.
Three of the remaining four have a combined 3 world series in the last 50 years. One win and two appearances in the last 20.

All four account for only two world series winners in the last 10 years.

I'd still call that parity.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

cardinalkarp wrote:Please Nats, don't choke

thanks
[expletive] off Nats

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

vinsanity wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:The 4 teams left are from the 4 largest cities in America, and its not like D. C. is some small backwater. I won't be able to rub in to NFL fans this year how baseball has more parity.
Three of the remaining four have a combined 3 world series in the last 50 years. One win and two appearances in the last 20.

All four account for only two world series winners in the last 10 years.

I'd still call that parity.
Yeah I guess as long as the Yankees lose

But also there was a recent article talking about how in recent years there seems to be less parity, and pointing out how 3 teams won > 100 games this year. There are more really good teams and more really bad teams and fewer teams (like the Cardinals) somewhere in the middle

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

pioneer98 wrote:The Cubs very easily could have been 1-4 in these games, and the 1 win that I'm giving them they won 3-0, and two of their runs were unearned.

But yes Cubs fans, tell me again how the Cardinals are so lucky in the playoffs.
I don't understand the belief that teams have to play well to win in the playoffs. There are only two teams out there. Reasonable chance one plays a lousy game or two.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Poor Cubbies

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/258463684 ... s-angeles/

Media is already sandbagging in case they lose game 1

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

CardsofSTL wrote:Poor Cubbies

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/258463684 ... s-angeles/

Media is already sandbagging in case they lose game 1
Maddon helped to keep things light and loose by making balloon animals for all of the players on the plane. He also had 108 Cinnabons from the airport kiosk delivered to the plane, and hosted a barf-bag-puppet show while the team was grounded in Albuquerque.

Lackey got blackout drunk and may or may not have made some racially insensitive comments while waiting to use the lavatory.