10/14 NLCS GM1: Cubs(Quintana) vs Dodgers(Kershaw) 7PMCT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: 10/14 NLCS GM1: Cubs(Quintana) vs Dodgers(Kershaw) 7PMCT

Post by Famous Mortimer »

But it's still the rule, and people know what the rule is, right?

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Culbertson is safe under the old rule because he’d take a direct route through the catcher. People are only applying half of it.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

jagtrader wrote:Culbertson is safe under the old rule because he’d take a direct route through the catcher. People are only applying half of it.
That is also true. Contreras could have been injured instead - particularly the way he planted his leg. Whatever you like Joe.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

MDCardsFan wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:I don't get the significantly altered' stuff. Darling was spewing about 'for 100 years it was blah blah.

Here's the thing - the rules say a defender can't block a runners path to a base until they have posession of the ball. That rules is called at every other base. For 100 years, the rule was ignored at home plate. God only knows why.

There is no confusion here. If the catcher doesn't have the ball, he can't block the plate. Once the catcher has possession of the ball, he can position himself anywhere he likes to tag the runner out.

Seems real clear to me and Contreras was clearly in violation of that rule.

Significantly altered from the way it was played. Up until Posey, what Conteras did was coached.

Contreras probably would have been laid out by Culberson if the new rule didn't exist, like Posey was.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
jagtrader wrote:Culbertson is safe under the old rule because he’d take a direct route through the catcher. People are only applying half of it.
That is also true. Contreras could have been injured instead - particularly the way he planted his leg. Whatever you like Joe.
Joe likes injuring catchers. I’m sure this includes Contreras, because Joe would never have a double standard.

On Rizzo taking a cheap shot at Austin Hedges: "I loved it, absolutely loved it," Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. "That's part of the game. If the catcher's in the way, you hit him."

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Donnie Ebert wrote:I'd guess he was trying to fire up his team. But, yeah, it seemed odd.
This seems dumb too. It's the NLCS and if the players aren't "fired up" to play until the manager gets ejected then they are going to be in trouble.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

It's sad that people on the internet are better at pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of Maddon than the journalists paid to write about the game are.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Famous Mortimer wrote:It's sad that people on the internet are better at pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of Maddon than the journalists paid to write about the game are.
And there, my friend, is your answer.

MDCardsFan
All-Star

Post by MDCardsFan »

pioneer98 wrote:
MDCardsFan wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:I don't get the significantly altered' stuff. Darling was spewing about 'for 100 years it was blah blah.

Here's the thing - the rules say a defender can't block a runners path to a base until they have posession of the ball. That rules is called at every other base. For 100 years, the rule was ignored at home plate. God only knows why.

There is no confusion here. If the catcher doesn't have the ball, he can't block the plate. Once the catcher has possession of the ball, he can position himself anywhere he likes to tag the runner out.

Seems real clear to me and Contreras was clearly in violation of that rule.

Significantly altered from the way it was played. Up until Posey, what Conteras did was coached.

Contreras probably would have been laid out by Culberson if the new rule didn't exist, like Posey was.
I agree. That was my point. And his leg would have been in a very vulnerable position.