10/15 NLCS GM2: Cubs(Lester) vs Dodger(Hill) 6:30 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: 10/15 NLCS GM2: Cubs(Lester) vs Dodger(Hill) 6:30 PM CT

Post by Hoot45 »

zac wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:It's funny to hear Cubs fans complaining about Maddon's bullpen management today. It makes me wonder, is there a fanbase out there that is collectively thrilled with how their manager uses his bullpen? If Lackey doesn't give up a run there, are Cubs fans today worshipping Maddon for how brilliantly he deployed Lackey for the second straight night?

This also makes me think of how every fanbase that watches their team in the playoffs is convinced that the announcers are biased against their team and just really want the other team to win. Been hearing a lot of that from Cubs fans too.
I didn't like him putting Edwards in the game. Yes Lester was looking rough, but I've seen him get out of more of those situations than Carl Edwards has, especially since the All-Star break (in which he's had trouble throwing strikes). Even though it "worked out" it was absolutely the wrong move to make. As was using Strop vs. Lackey (if you are willing to use Lackey bring him in to start the inning with nobody on base) and bringing in Lackey when he should have brought in Wade Davis.

The bolded part is incredibly stupid and simply not true. I never judge on outcome, rather than what was the best decision at the time it was made. Bringing Lackey in under those circumstances was simply moronic, regardless of the outcome.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

zac wrote: I'm fine with managers going on instinct when a decision is close to a 50/50 (or even 60/40) proposition. But Maddon is going against choosing to side on 20/80 and sometimes worse. Doing that consistently will cost the team a lot of games.
Asked and Answered
CardsofSTL wrote:Maddon's a prick

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Maddon
on Wade Davis: “It’s important not to dry hump him, as the saying goes.”

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Hoot45 wrote:It's funny to hear Cubs fans complaining about Maddon's bullpen management today. It makes me wonder, is there a fanbase out there that is collectively thrilled with how their manager uses his bullpen? If Lackey doesn't give up a run there, are Cubs fans today worshipping Maddon for how brilliantly he deployed Lackey for the second straight night?

This also makes me think of how every fanbase that watches their team in the playoffs is convinced that the announcers are biased against their team and just really want the other team to win. Been hearing a lot of that from Cubs fans too.
This is a good thing to keep in mind. There is always going to be something to complain about with bullpen management. Always. If disagreeing with bullpen decisions is the worst thing you have to complain about, you're doing pretty good. That's a general thought, not specifically about Maddon or Matheny.

As far as Maddon's playoff decisions go, he had a bad night. It's admittedly tough to find the right series of decisions when your non-Davis bullpen options have been a dumpster fire all postseason and you're asked to get 25 outs across 2 games from that bullpen. And I can at least accept the logic that after his Wednesday/Thursday usage, Davis wasn't going to get more than 3 outs or pitch in two different innings. With that in mind though, you still don't send Duensing out for a 2nd inning against a cavalcade of right handers, and you especially don't replace him with Lackey against the top of the order after Duensing gifted you with 2 outs in 3 hitters. And you extra-especially don't double switch Lackey into the game, ensuring he'd face the entire heart of the order and exposing your decision to let Almora hit against Jansen as lunacy. With the info after the game about Davis I could have accepted a few different permutations that didn't include him, but none of them include Lackey and all of them should have included a pinch hitter for Almora with a man on base in the 9th.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

In Maddon's defense, as is true with every one of his appearances ever, Lackey was being squeezed.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:In Maddon's defense, as is true with every one of his appearances ever, Lackey was being squeezed.
LOL

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Cubs need to win today, get the heat off Maddon so he can get back to doing the important things managers' do....mimes, clowns etc.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Freed Roger wrote:Cubs need to win today, get the heat off Maddon so he can get back to doing the important things managers' do....mimes, clowns etc.
It is vital. Not only for Maddon, but for the legions of fans who have invested their hard-earned money in new Cubs shirts/hats, and who have spent countless hours over the past 12 months explaining to their friends and co-workers about how they’ve always been Cubs fans.

More importantly, a loss will negatively impact the visibility of 90s-rocker Eddie Vedder, former-funnyman Bill Murray, and the guy who played Lloyd Dobler. Do it for the hanger-ons, Cubbies! Postseason failure will make the heroes of the previous century painfully irrelevant.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

TimJomsula wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Cubs need to win today, get the heat off Maddon so he can get back to doing the important things managers' do....mimes, clowns etc.
It is vital. Not only for Maddon, but for the legions of fans who have invested their hard-earned money in new Cubs shirts/hats, and who have spent countless hours over the past 12 months explaining to their friends and co-workers about how they’ve always been Cubs fans.

More importantly, a loss will negatively impact the visibility of 90s-rocker Eddie Vedder, former-funnyman Bill Murray, and the guy who played Lloyd Dobler. Do it for the hanger-ons, Cubbies! Postseason failure will make the heroes of the previous century painfully irrelevant.
Win or lose, Joe has Winnebago's to sell.