Instant Replay

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Instant Replay

Post by Famous Mortimer »

They ought to have a replay team at every ballpark keeping an eye on every play, which would both speed the process up and improve accuracy.

DownUnderDon
Fringe Major League Player

Post by DownUnderDon »

Famous Mortimer wrote:They ought to have a replay team at every ballpark keeping an eye on every play, which would both speed the process up and improve accuracy.
I hate to bang on about cricket on a baseball forum, but it strikes me that having a so called 'third umpire' alongside the commentary booth is probably the most way to make the best of replay. They could use an otherwise off duty umpire to make the calls as required.

No need to learn too many other lessons from the other game though, my feeling is that replay (if you must have it) should be kept as minimal as possible. I hate what's happened to first class & international cricket.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Famous Mortimer wrote:They ought to have a replay team at every ballpark keeping an eye on every play, which would both speed the process up and improve accuracy.
And do a simulcast of the video that the Replay Officials are seeing. Stop hiding behind, “Well, maybe New York is seeing an angle we don’t see... we don’t know what New York is getting that we don’t get.”

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

The Chicago / LA thing last night was a perfect example. An obvious blown call, as the huge video screen in the ballpark showed. They have the technology, why not use it?

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:The Chicago / LA thing last night was a perfect example. An obvious blown call, as the huge video screen in the ballpark showed. They have the technology, why not use it?
Doesn't one of the major leagues, maybe the NFL or NHL, prohibit plays under review from being shown on the stadium video board until after the decision has been made? I remember that being a thing at one point when replay started to make its way into pro sports but maybe as time has passed that rule has been phased out.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

It’s really stupid when a guy beats a tag but gets called out on replay because he overshot the bag by 3 microns. Is that what we have replay for?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Replay is shildt