Mozeliak on McKernan

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Mozeliak on McKernan

Post by CardsofSTL »

dmarx114 wrote:
It's not like Mo is shopping at Walmart.
hell no; not the way he dresses

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

go birds wrote:im prolly the only one here who feels this way but i legit don't care what happens in the offseason. apathy has complete set in.

we get stanton? sweet. we dont? not surprised.

if greg holland is our top priority then it's par for the course.

wake me up in a few years when our lower level prospects have panned out and there is an exciting product on the field.
And, why are they going to pan out when the last bunch these guys drafted did not?

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Closer, then Hitter? I hope they go free agent, then trade. If we use prospects to get a closer, that we could've used to get a Hitter, it'd be foolish. Or maybe he means Closer, then Hitter, in terms of cronologically. Like, we'll move fast to fill out closer, then play around baiting-and-switching for 2 months. Who knows?

I think he just means the closer won't be somebody who's currently with the organization (or not Nicasio, maybe.) Whether that's free agent or trade, I don't know, but I'd guess the former. The bat would be pursued via trade.
Nicasio is likely every bit as good as the guy they will eventually get.

Harpo
Perennial All-Star

Post by Harpo »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Also says that they will be open to the SP market but it's not a priority.
I realize that the Cards probably aren't going to address all 3 needs, MOTOB, Closer and SP this offseason, but I'd love to know what Mo's thinking with regards to SP. Just looking at the numbers, there's a ton of innings, some 340ish by my count, that will need replaced between the departed Leake and soon to be departed Lynn. Weaver will surely pick up some, but I'm not seeing where the rest come from at this point. Wainwright? Wacha? Flaherty? Reyes when he returns? It might just be me, but I think Mo's going to need another SP going into next season.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Harpo wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Also says that they will be open to the SP market but it's not a priority.
I realize that the Cards probably aren't going to address all 3 needs, MOTOB, Closer and SP this offseason, but I'd love to know what Mo's thinking with regards to SP. Just looking at the numbers, there's a ton of innings, some 340ish by my count, that will need replaced between the departed Leake and soon to be departed Lynn. Weaver will surely pick up some, but I'm not seeing where the rest come from at this point. Wainwright? Wacha? Flaherty? Reyes when he returns? It might just be me, but I think Mo's going to need another SP going into next season.
Especially if Wacha can't handle the workload of a starting pitcher too much longer.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

JoeMcKim wrote:
Harpo wrote:
Especially if Wacha can't handle the workload of a starting pitcher too much longer.
As if being a "trusted reliever" for Catch-22 isn't the clear end of his career.