Josh Donaldson & Only Being Mostly Stupid

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Josh Donaldson & Only Being Mostly Stupid

Post by Fat Strat »

Give him another month and see what happens. If he starts to get it together, I would definitely look at him as a 2 month rental for a real push for a championship. I don't think I would re-sign him, though.

That kind of deal wouldn't cost us Weaver, Reyes, or Flaherty. We could dip down a little and put a nice package together.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Trade who though? There's a couple of pitchers I'm tired of waiting around on like Jones and Woodford. Guys drafted high and still suck in AA into their 20s.

I don't want Helsley to go. Nor Gomber. Especially with the our reliever contracts being so awful.

I think the org needs Munoz and Shrock. Shrock is our next Descalso/Garcia guy. Munoz has tons of value as a hitting SS. I think Dylan Carlson is going to be sneaky good too. Switch hitter 6'3" guy still growing into his frame and already showing power.

Would do Kelly for Donaldson straight up.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

Fat Strat wrote:Give him another month and see what happens. If he starts to get it together, I would definitely look at him as a 2 month rental for a real push for a championship. I don't think I would re-sign him, though.

That kind of deal wouldn't cost us Weaver, Reyes, or Flaherty. We could dip down a little and put a nice package together.
I agree with this. He'll probably want 5-6 years this offseason but that's about 3 years too much imo.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Trade who though? There's a couple of pitchers I'm tired of waiting around on like Jones and Woodford. Guys drafted high and still suck in AA into their 20s.

I don't want Helsley to go. Nor Gomber. Especially with the our reliever contracts being so awful.

I think the org needs Munoz and Shrock. Shrock is our next Descalso/Garcia guy. Munoz has tons of value as a hitting SS. I think Dylan Carlson is going to be sneaky good too. Switch hitter 6'3" guy still growing into his frame and already showing power.

Would do Kelly for Donaldson straight up.
I wouldn't let players who might prove useful player get in the way of us adding an elite player for a run at a championship, if we're in position for that and if Donaldson is performing at that level.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Trade who though? There's a couple of pitchers I'm tired of waiting around on like Jones and Woodford. Guys drafted high and still suck in AA into their 20s.
Jake Woodford is 21 and was drafted in 2015 out of high school. He's in AA and is actually a level or two higher than he should be right now, given his age.

Connor Jones is 23 and was drafted in 2016 out of college. He's in AA and is actually right about where he should be, given his age.

You do realize that, outside of a select few of the absolute best prospects in baseball, everyone is in their 20s when they're in AA, right? I would hardly consider either of those two players as "pitchers we're waiting around on." It's not like one of them is Tyrell Jenkins or something.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Trade Tyler ONeill for him

/leaves before banned

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I'm not confident Donaldson will be healthy enough to contribute to a winning ballclub this season.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

CardsofSTL wrote:I'm not confident Donaldson will be healthy enough to contribute to a winning ballclub this season.
Well, it's the formula for bullpen construction.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

didn't know where else to put, not that it's anything
2:32
All Cats Are Beautiful : The Yankees intentionally left cap space for the trade deadline. Any idea how they coul use it? Are there any other teams ready to take on payroll?

2:33
Dan Szymborski: I think we’re still seeing the August/September needs solidify, but I expect the Yankees, should they see an opportunity, to be among the most aggressive teams.

2:33
Dan Szymborski: I think the Cards do something significant, especially if it helps them past this season

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »