Hall Of Famer

Re: Josh Donaldson & Only Being Mostly Stupid

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I like it more than Machado.

Carson Kelly seems to be the Jays' top prospect interest, correct?

Gyorko + cash and Kelly for Donaldson???

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I like it more than Machado.

Carson Kelly seems to be the Jays' top prospect interest, correct?

Gyorko + cash and Kelly for Donaldson???
Kelly for Donaldson straight up. Donaldson has a year left. Kelly is cost-controlled for his prime years and decent catchers are rare. We assume all the cash. Won’t happen, but I wouldn’t feel great about trading Kelly for one year of anyone.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Gyorko would probably be needed for them to consider it. They want to compete. Gyorko minimizes the damage.

Maybe they throw in a reliever?

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

The Red Sox are going to add JD Martinez, the Yankees have added Stanton, both teams are going to win 95 games and the freaking Blue Jays are trying to compete with an assortment of Lorenzo Cain, Jay Bruce and CarGo. Give it. The [expletive]. Up.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Kelly for Donaldson straight up makes more sense the longer I think about it.

Plug top prospect Vlad Jr. at 3B and Kelly at C and trade Martin to a catch-needy contender.

Cardinals have two catchers in the org that will be ready when Yadi actually goes. Kelly sitting around for 2018 makes no sense for the Cardinals. Plus he may not even be good. Looked bad last year. Sell high.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Kelly for Donaldson straight up makes more sense the longer I think about it.

Plug top prospect Vlad Jr. at 3B and Kelly at C and trade Martin to a catch-needy contender.

Cardinals have two catchers in the org that will be ready when Yadi actually goes. Kelly sitting around for 2018 makes no sense for the Cardinals. Plus he may not even be good. Looked bad last year. Sell high.
Gonna have to give them a pitcher, too, and probably another piece or 2. They don't want to move him, so you'll have to overwhelm them. Bad use of resources, if you ask me.

Kelly as the backup in '18 is fine. Yadi will almost certainly miss some games due to injury.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Farewell Friends wrote:The Red Sox are going to add JD Martinez, the Yankees have added Stanton, both teams are going to win 95 games and the freaking Blue Jays are trying to compete with an assortment of Lorenzo Cain, Jay Bruce and CarGo. Give it. The [expletive]. Up.
Also funny: the Red Sox pre-emptively cutting themselves out of the Harper/Machado sweepstakes next year and making it harder to extend their key young players.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

JL21 wrote:Also funny: the Red Sox pre-emptively cutting themselves out of the Harper/Machado sweepstakes next year and making it harder to extend their key young players.
I never thought about this way. It sounds like they're going to give $350 million to Martinez and Hosmer.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Farewell Friends wrote:
JL21 wrote:Also funny: the Red Sox pre-emptively cutting themselves out of the Harper/Machado sweepstakes next year and making it harder to extend their key young players.
I never thought about this way. It sounds like they're going to give $350 million to Martinez and Hosmer.
Are they still paying Sandoval to eat cheeseburgers?