Josh Donaldson & Only Being Mostly Stupid

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Re: Josh Donaldson & Only Being Mostly Stupid

Post by Farewell Friends »

I'm not sure about his defense but the Blue Jays are hoping Vlad Guerrero Jr. is their third baseman of the future. He's still a couple years away, though.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Are we certain Toronto is set on selling Donaldson and committing to a re-build? They still have some talent and payroll flexibility.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Farewell Friends wrote:I'm not sure about his defense but the Blue Jays are hoping Vlad Guerrero Jr. is their third baseman of the future. He's still a couple years away, though.
Gyorko is under contract for 2 years + a reasonable option. That seems like a perfect bridge, especially since Jedd can play a half dozen positions on the field if needed. Guerrero Jr just finished half a season at A+. He needs at least a year at AA and, at age 18, it would be a bit of a stretch to push him to AA after just one full year in the minors. Good season, though. Nice prospect.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Popeye_Card wrote:Are we certain Toronto is set on selling Donaldson and committing to a re-build? They still have some talent and payroll flexibility.
Nope. Just a guess. That's one of the reasons they might want MLB talent instead of prospects. An opportunity to get a little younger and still have a chance to contend.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I get that Stanton has a NTC and the money is probably too much for DeWitt's liking, but I really feel like it's Stanton or bust for me this offseason. Donaldson seems like a great player, but getting him doesn't seem like it's an organization-changing move. Stanton really feels to me like the only move (offensively) that puts us back up there even with the cubs. Realistically, even Stanton doesn't do that all by himself. Need another starter and some bullpen help regardless of what happens on offense.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

I’d prefer Donaldson over Stanton but I’d ride a tandem bicycle to St Louis with either one of them if it helped a trade get completed.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:So on board with Donaldson, even if it's just this year and you wanna go big for Machado the following year.
Bingo bango. Hesitant to offer a 5 year deal to someone his age.

If we dealt for Donaldson, then he walked, would we get a comp pick?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Tim wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:So on board with Donaldson, even if it's just this year and you wanna go big for Machado the following year.

Yes.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Tim wrote:

If we made a QO and he got the contract we expect, yes. Of course that pick is now basically a late 2/early 3.

I have no qualms about Donaldson at his age, honestly. I like trading for this season and using it as a yearlong recruiting pitch.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

My qualms aren't really his age. He's a great player in his peak years (tail end peak, probably). I just fear we're going to give up a bunch of good-to-great prospects and lose him to FA. Or we sign him to a huge contract through his age 39 season and are stuck with a cripple. With Stanton, the money is the only downside I see. I think we'll get even more elite production, and for a lot more years. IF he were to agree to come here. The LA theory the 101 guys were talking about yesterday made a lot of sense for Stanton though.