Lynn given QO; Rosey released

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Lynn given QO; Rosey released

Post by CardsofSTL »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:It is a botched move with the hindsight of Rosie being injured; if he was going to be able to pitch next season he would not have been released; as it is I am not surprised by the move considering the roster crunch. They could always negotiate with him later if no one else signs him; if they trade some pieces and suddenly have roster space.

I wanted him traded at the deadline too.
You did. I would have been fine with that too. But if he had not had the injury and they had kept him for next season's bullpen; you could understand if not agree with the decision not to trade him.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Hoot45 wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:They could always negotiate with him later if no one else signs him; if they trade some pieces and suddenly have roster space.
I can't imagine anyone is going to be in a rush to get a multi-year deal done with Rosie. I could see the Cards leaving the door open to him coming back after they get the roster clarity they're looking for. Since he wasn't moved at the deadline we know the club valued him pretty highly (pre-injury, at least).
Agreed...wasn't saying the Cardinals should; just saying they could.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:They could always negotiate with him later if no one else signs him; if they trade some pieces and suddenly have roster space.
I can't imagine anyone is going to be in a rush to get a multi-year deal done with Rosie. I could see the Cards leaving the door open to him coming back after they get the roster clarity they're looking for. Since he wasn't moved at the deadline we know the club valued him pretty highly (pre-injury, at least).
Agreed...wasn't saying the Cardinals should; just saying they could.
Someone will get something good out of him without spending much - same way the Rockies got it from Holland.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Not surprised, with Trevor.

Relieved, with Lance. The wording they were using at the tail end of the season left many wondering if they would even offer him QO.

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

MLB Trade Rumors estimated Lynn as the 9th or so best FA this offseason but proceeded to predict only 70 million or some stupid number over like 5 years. Cards were way smarter than that to know his market will take shape quickly just like Lance had to know it would. Glad that pick is there.

Rosenthal will be closing games at a high level again, I am more than certain. The Holland comp is right there. Relievers are hard to judge but I agree that when you're very likely not making the playoffs, you trade the guy who is kicking butt out of the pen -- if it wasn't an injury it was going to be a terrible September and then the value plummets again. He would have fetched some decent pieces for sure, and there's a good chance we end up facing him again when he's back to strength. A bit of a bummer on all sides from that perspective.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Trevor is only 27 now, once he gets healthy easily could have 4-5 more years in him.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Kincaid wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I wonder who pays for a player's medical care when he's released while recovering from an injury.
The team still pays for medical costs up to two years after the injury. There was a dispute over this back in 2009 when Ben Sheets hurt his elbow pitching for Milwaukee the previous year, pitched through it, and then found out from his medical after trying to sign as a free agent with Texas that he needed surgery. The Brewers initially tried to get out of paying for the surgery but ended up having to since the injury occurred while he was pitching for them.

This is the relevant part of the Uniform Player's Contract (page 7, section 2):
Disability directly resulting from injury sustained in the course and within the scope of his employment under this contract shall not impair the right of the Player to receive…the reasonable medical and hospital expenses incurred by reason of the injury and during the term of this contract or for a period of up to two years from the date of initial treatment for such injury, whichever period is longer
Thanks for the info, Kincaid.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

misterManager wrote:MLB Trade Rumors estimated Lynn as the 9th or so best FA this offseason but proceeded to predict only 70 million or some stupid number over like 5 years. Cards were way smarter than that to know his market will take shape quickly just like Lance had to know it would. Glad that pick is there.

Rosenthal will be closing games at a high level again, I am more than certain. The Holland comp is right there. Relievers are hard to judge but I agree that when you're very likely not making the playoffs, you trade the guy who is kicking butt out of the pen -- if it wasn't an injury it was going to be a terrible September and then the value plummets again. He would have fetched some decent pieces for sure, and there's a good chance we end up facing him again when he's back to strength. A bit of a bummer on all sides from that perspective.
I am confused by the Rosey analysis.

If he was going to be injured or ineffective in September, why would he have "fetched decent pieces"?

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

^^^ I meant if we'd have traded him at the deadline. If we'd have seen the writing on the wall and shipped him and Oh in a package before the injuries and Oh's complete breakdown. I guess I just meant it's not ever a bad idea to sell high on a reliever.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

misterManager wrote:^^^ I meant if we'd have traded him at the deadline. If we'd have seen the writing on the wall and shipped him and Oh in a package before the injuries and Oh's complete breakdown. I guess I just meant it's not ever a bad idea to sell high on a reliever.
I've always thought not trading Oh was the bigger head scratcher. They knew they weren't keeping him next season. Even if all they got was a long shot prospect it seems like that would have been the way to go.