Gameday App, Cutting the Cord, stuff of that nature

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: Gameday App, Cutting the Cord, stuff of that nature

Post by Hoot45 »

Schlich wrote:Does anyone actually have youtube TV (in the stl market) besides AWCB? I could definitely see them giving FSMW but blacking out the actual games...
I'm in the St. Louis market and use YouTube TV. It's been great so far, although a little more expensive that I'd like to pay.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Hoot45 wrote:
Schlich wrote:Does anyone actually have youtube TV (in the stl market) besides AWCB? I could definitely see them giving FSMW but blacking out the actual games...
I'm in the St. Louis market and use YouTube TV. It's been great so far, although a little more expensive that I'd like to pay.
I also have YouTube TV in St. Louis and am still grandfathered in at $35/month. I love it. It works great and I've never had an issue with being able to watch anything. The only thing I've ever noticed that was blacked out was NFL regular season games on Fox and CBS but I could care less about those these days and could still watch them live over the air anyway.

With YouTube TV it will actually base your channel lineup on where you physically are at any given time so if you travel, you'll get exactly what the locals get and not your normal lineup BUT you can still watch DVR'd stuff from your local area like Fox Sports Midwest. When I was in Boston I should have tried to set recordings from their sports network to see if I would still get those in St. Louis on DVR. I didn't think of it until just now though. Next time I'll have to remember that. Technically they say that you can't watch the program until an hour after it airs but I managed to watch both the Blues and Cardinals from Boston pretty close to live so maybe I just misread the caveats.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Just to add another voice, I have YouTube TV(also got in at the grandfathered price) in the STL metro area and I haven't encountered any blackouts for any shows/events thus far. I've only had it for about 5 weeks though.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I should add that I've been using YouTube TV since November so nearly six months now and never had a problem. I even use my phone's hotspot to stream to TVs via Chromecast and it works great even without having any 4G data left to tether with so my carrier slows my tethering speed down.

YouTube TV seems to do better with slower speeds than Hulu, that's for sure. I don't have any other service to compare it to other than Hulu. I tried to use my phone's Internet tethering to watch Hulu on my iPad once away from home and it was worthless. It wouldn't even load the show. I can easily do it with YouTube TV and get great quality though. I can tether the iPad to my phone and watch YouTube TV from anywhere with a signal and it works great. I do it all the time.

At slower speeds live sports are not great but they work. At 4G speeds, sports are just as good as any other provider. At slower connection speeds baseball is OK, very similar to the pre-HD days with decent stretches of HD quality, but hockey is unwatchable for example.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Hoot45 wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:Roku really is about the best streaming device I have ever used. I should get on their payroll.
I guess the GRB stipend for managing GDT's isn't paying the bills, huh?
Zeus told me I had to pay them? I knew I was getting screwed

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Heck, meet me at the Cards game Friday night (I'll be at the Budweiser Terrace) and I'll tether my iPad and a laptop to my phone's Internet (if I have it with me, depends on whether I think I'll need to log in this weekend for work or not) and give you a demonstration on how well it works.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i was about to absolutely hammer mlb.tv after i gave that glowing review as my FSMW feed was blurry and choppy.

but it has since cleared up.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

quick update: [expletive] mlb.tv

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
Swirls wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:(knocks on wood)

Well, the annual "how difficult will MLB make it for me to watch my team?" began again this weekend. Blocked out on the Direct TV extra innings free preview. Blocked out on MLB.tv. I called Direct TV to order the regional sports packages so that I could yell at the MLB/Direct TV operators, "NO! I don't get the games on FSMW!". I'll be damned, I'm getting the games on FSMW. I was able to get them this way in 2006-07. Then only on Extra Innings or MLB.tv switching back and forth depending on the blackout whims of MLB. Keeping my fingers crossed this keeps up.
If the Chicago area is considered to be within the Cardinals region for MLB's blackout policy, that Unlocater program should be able to do what you need - it will still require MLB.tv or MLB Extra Innings or something, but it should let you watch games.
I've always been in a grey area for blackouts. jim lived about 20 miles east of me towards Chicago and had no issues. I had an ex-girlfriend who lived 25 miles west and had no issues. I'm hoping the FSMW continues to work because it's only $13.50/month and I'd rather just flip on the TV than get frustrated with technology issues.
I'm starting to get freaked out. Even this Cubs game isn't blacked out. I may get to enjoy the season without hearing Len Kasper's smarmy call.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

One thing i've noticed about mlb.tv is that the ONLY feed i EVER have any issues with is the cardinals feed. I've watched numerous different games between other teams with absolutely no issues. The cards? choppy, delayed, skips, fuzzy, non-HD quality.

I guess im just lucky.

Maybe i'll try the mets feed tonight to see how it goes.