What Trade Had the Biggest Impact?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Leeyat
All-Star

Re: What Trade Had the Biggest Impact?

Post by Leeyat »

Jocephus wrote:if i had to pick from that list (excluding brock and smith since i wouldn't be able to judge impact) i'd probably say the rolen one. i was over the moon when they got him. felt like the last piece.

but all those, mac, kile, jimmy and rolen...i remember being excited for all of them. jimmy was such a steal...i guess there was risk since he hadn't "put it all together" and injuries, etc, and we were giving up a 18 game winner...but really, kent bottenfield (and kennedy) for jim edmonds? wow
Can't agree more!

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

Edmonds because that's my era and a power-hitting center fielder is my favorite kind of baseball player.

Mid-season acquisitions that really caught fire is sort of a different category. I'd include:

- Will Clark
- Holliday (This is tarnished somewhat by him taking one in the nards, but he was otherwise insanely good in the second half of 2009.)
- Gretzky?

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I'm thinking like Gateway. It was the McGwire trade that really set things up in the 2000's. One big trade and a steroids-infused HR barrage that followed changed the entire direction of the franchise. Do we go after Edmonds and Kile and bring in Vina in '00 if we aren't packing 3M plus fans into the seats into Busch in the years before? It pumped so much money and emotion around the Cards that was lacking in the '90s. I'm not sure that we do without McGwire doing what he did.

I think that the Edmonds trade had the most on-the-field impact. Followed very closely by Smith. But, no one trade changed this organization more than Big Mac.

Also, I didn't think of putting Wainwright in there. Another big trade that affected our roster for a long, long time.

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

Carlton for Wise had the biggest impact. Would have won a few division titles in the 70s if they had Carlton.

On the other side I would say either Brock or Ozzie.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I think for in-season trades; the Rasmus trade is the one that stands out in my memory. 2011 championship doesn't happen without that trade.

If you are looking for multi-season impact; Andujar was a big trade; big piece of 1982 and 1985 pennant winners. But I think the Brock trade outshines pretty much all of them.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Had no idea GRB took the Wizard for granted.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Fat Strat wrote:I'm thinking like Gateway. It was the McGwire trade that really set things up in the 2000's. One big trade and a steroids-infused HR barrage that followed changed the entire direction of the franchise. Do we go after Edmonds and Kile and bring in Vina in '00 if we aren't packing 3M plus fans into the seats into Busch in the years before? It pumped so much money and emotion around the Cards that was lacking in the '90s. I'm not sure that we do without McGwire doing what he did.
i picked rolen thinking of the team impact. i'd pick mac if you're thinking of impact as an organization. mcgwire freaking revitalized major league baseball, st louis became the #1 town. no doubt mcgwire helped shape and finance those future moves.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

The Colby trade directly led to a WS win.

But most of the trades mentioned were huge moves for the team. McGwire changed baseball. He led us into one of the most successful decades in baseball history. McGwire was the biggest one for me.

Drew and Marrero for Wainwright, Marquis, and King was also a huge trade. Wainwright is one of the best pitchers in Cards history, and King/Marquis were useful for years.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Tudor for Hendrick in Dec ‘84.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

lukethedrifter wrote:Had no idea GRB took the Wizard for granted.
Agreed, Ozzie was a master for a decade plus at SS and fit in so well with Whitey's style. He's synonymous with Cardinals baseball and, well, is still a fan favorite.