Snayke's Bottomline

Re: Cardinals looking at Darvish, Arrieta

Post by Farewell Friends »

I'd take Arrieta in a heartbeat.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Farewell Friends wrote:I'd take Arrieta in a heartbeat.

Count me in.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I don't want either Darvish or Arrieta!

Flood the rotation with the young guys. Do what good teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have done. Play the 7 day DL game all year and stretch guys out. Put money into the pen.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I don't want either Darvish or Arrieta!

Flood the rotation with the young guys. Do what good teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have done. Play the 7 day DL game all year and stretch guys out. Put money into the pen.
The Yankees basically used 7 SP last year, and 2 of those were midseason trade acquisitions, they didn't have a deep or particularly homegrown rotation. Last year the Dodgers' top 7 starters started 153 games, made a combined 100 million dollars, and had an average age of 30.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

The Yankees basically used 7 SP last year, and 2 of those were midseason trade acquisitions, they didn't have a deep or particularly homegrown rotation. Last year the Dodgers' top 7 starters started 153 games, made a combined 100 million dollars, and had an average age of 30.
Average age is stupid to use when you have Rich Hill in a rotation. But I see what you did there.

The trend is to play starters. Not dish out more Mike Leake style contracts to number 2s and 3s. It's not a good move IMO.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Yeah, that's super disingenuous. If you leave Rich Hill out of the equation, it drops the average age from 30.5 to 29.5

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Arrieta would be a good get.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Average age is stupid to use when you have Rich Hill in a rotation. But I see what you did there.

The trend is to play starters. Not dish out more Mike Leake style contracts to number 2s and 3s. It's not a good move IMO.
Alex Wood was the only Top 7 starter under the age of 29. Kershaw, who had over 8 years of service time on Opening Day, is the only one besides Wood that wasn't signed as a free agent. If you want a deep rotation of young guys that's fine, but the Dodgers made it work because they have the best starter in the world and a jillion dollars on top of that.

Darvish and Arrieta have plenty of risks, but they are categorically different from the Mike Leakes of the world. Leake's best pre-FA year was 2.3 fWAR and he has never had very good stuff. Darvish and Arrieta have multiple years that were twice as good and have high end stuff to back that up. The Leake of this offseason is someone like Lynn or maybe Cobb.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I don't know the reason for hesitation for Darvish and Arrieta

As of now the rotation would be

Martinez
Wainwright
Wacha
Weaver
Mikolas

That's solid but unspectacular to say the least. Arrieta would be a significant upgrade over everybody minus Martinez. And Darvish equally so.