Cardinals looking at Darvish, Arrieta

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

don't know if we're wanting a seperate thread for each rumor? of maybe one for hitters and pitchers? or even the dreaded "mega-thread"? feel free to merge with whatever.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Cardinals "are looking at high-end starters, including Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta."

Heyman does add the caveat that "they will first investigate the trade market before committing to a big-ticket free agent." President of baseball operations John Mozeliak has stated that a middle-of-the-order bat and a closer are bigger priorities for the Cardinals this winter than a starter, but it sounds like they'll still at least kick the tires on Darvish and Arrieta. However, if they do add a starter they might ultimately wind up settling on a lesser name, whether it be via trade or free agent signing.

Source: FanRagSports.comNov 13 - 11:18 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4998/yu-darvish

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Cardinals looking at Darvish, Arrieta

Post by heyzeus »

If we're looking for someone to bomb out in high profile playoff games, Darvish is the man!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Was just about to post it. I feel this is significant enough to get its own thread.

I don't know if this is in addition to a possible Stanton trade or a Plan B.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

The team's lack of interest in resigning Lynn is very strange considering he perfectly describes what the team wants from a free agent pitcher.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

No interest in Darvish.

I would take Arrieta on a short deal (something like 3 years/$66 million).

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

we do need a starter IMO...even more than bullpen help if i'm being honest....bullpens are so volatile from year to year, and really think we just had a worst case scenario last year. do we still need some help? obviously, yes...but IMO, get a starter/big bat first, then turn your attention to the bullpen as that can always be tweaked. look at even the good bullpens in the post season...those weren't the same bullpens that broke spring training with those teams.

i personally would throw a high AAV for say 3 years to arrieta and see if he'd bite. a rotation like this would make me feel much better about next year...

martinez
arrieta
weaver
wacha
waino (sigh....)

and you can have reyes in the pen while he recovers/builds up strenth from his TJ...and that'd be a force coming out of the bullpen.

this is waino's last year on his deal...so after he's gone next year, you shift reyes from the bullpen into his spot.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

TheoSqua wrote:The team's lack of interest in resigning Lynn is very strange considering he perfectly describes what the team wants from a free agent pitcher.
I wonder if they see him declining more quickly due to age and failure to take a quick step forward?

Already lost one MPH on his four seamer, k's down, BB rate up, HR/FB up. I'd always hoped his BB rate would work it's way down a little as he matured.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

TheoSqua wrote:The team's lack of interest in resigning Lynn is very strange considering he perfectly describes what the team wants from a free agent pitcher.
burnt bridge?

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

An agent got Heyman to write a story.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I was going to start a 2018 (potential) Pitching Staff thread so there you go.