Making Baseball Better

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Re: Making Baseball Better

Post by TimeForGuinness »

- Get rid of replays
- Get rid of challenges
- Add a video umpire to each squad that can review/overrule any call on the field (except balls & strikes) in "real-ish" time.
- Cheaper beer

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Radbird wrote:Ban velcro
There's some truth to this.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

To be honest, I'd just as soon have games last 6 hours sometimes. Tuesdays nights, eh, I want to get to bed. But, Saturday afternoons, hell yeah, it'd be nice to turn on a game at 6 and have it on until midnight...why not. Pace of play is whatever. Slow, fast, I don't care. Just get rid of replay and I'll be happy.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

vinsanity wrote:I don't understand the obsession with length of games. The nature of the sport can lead to long, dragging games particularly towards the end of the season.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb ... fix-051716
The changes helped cut the average game length by 12 minutes, from three hours and eight minutes in 2014 to two hours and 56 minutes a year ago – but baseball games were still more than 20 minutes longer than the average NHL game and 40 minutes longer than the average NBA game. MLB games are shorter than an average NFL game
I like that it's kind of laid back and easy to half pay attention. I'd change the playoff format, maybe consider expanding the active roster or allowing players to re-enter to some extent. Oh, and a constitutional amendment against astroturf and the DH.

Yaeh, I agree. I never find myself thinking "boy I wish this game was over".

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Tim wrote:Start all games at 7 EST regardless of where the game is played.
Yankees are starting their weekday games at 6:35 PM EST next year to try and get done early for the schoolkids. Might not be a bad thing to try out.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

JL21 wrote:Fewer [expletive] ads between innings and during pitching changes, especially during the playoffs.
The Cardinals and Rockies game on July 25 experimented with a shorter commercial break of 1:40 instead of 2 minutes. The game went 3 hours 11 minutes; which is six minutes longer than the average game during the 2017 season.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
JL21 wrote:Fewer [expletive] ads between innings and during pitching changes, especially during the playoffs.
The Cardinals and Rockies game on July 25 experimented with a shorter commercial break of 1:40 instead of 2 minutes. The game went 3 hours 11 minutes; which is six minutes longer than the average game during the 2017 season.
SSS!!!1

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The live ball has done a few things...

I makes it so pitchers cannot pitch to contact to try to get soft contact outs. So it has become more about getting swings and misses. This means batters foul off more pitches and go deeper into counts more often. This gets pitch counts up and leads to more pitching changes (and maybe more pitcher injuries, too).

If the HR became a bit less common, then low strikeout batters may become more valuable (and more common). This is because they won't be penalized as badly for not having power, since not as many people have power anyway. Low strikeouts generally means less pitches per at bat and all that stuff above, too.

I'm not saying to go back to the dead ball era, but maybe just back to like the 80s? Or maybe even just like 5 years ago? The number of strikeouts and HRs is bonkers the last 2 years.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Socnorb11 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:I don't understand the obsession with length of games. The nature of the sport can lead to long, dragging games particularly towards the end of the season.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb ... fix-051716
The changes helped cut the average game length by 12 minutes, from three hours and eight minutes in 2014 to two hours and 56 minutes a year ago – but baseball games were still more than 20 minutes longer than the average NHL game and 40 minutes longer than the average NBA game. MLB games are shorter than an average NFL game
I like that it's kind of laid back and easy to half pay attention. I'd change the playoff format, maybe consider expanding the active roster or allowing players to re-enter to some extent. Oh, and a constitutional amendment against astroturf and the DH.

Yaeh, I agree. I never find myself thinking "boy I wish this game was over".
Especially if I'm at a bar that has happy hour specials during the game. If I'm getting cheap(er) beer and maybe apps then I'm rooting for the game to go on forever.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I enjoyed reading this article but then I enjoy reading most articles that talk about baseball.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown ... 2b5e553e1f

To the casual fan, it may not seem like much but if you paid close attention, a change is taking place in baseball, that while not earth-shattering in their durations, are making the league optimistic that games are moving along and keeping you engaged.
Pace-of-play is about the crispness of the game moving along, but gets boiled down to time. Fans and media tend to focus on the “time” part without thinking of it in terms of reducing lulls in the action. The league introduced changes designed to keep pace moving during the season, and in a sign that fans seem more focused on the game and have said little about the rule changes, it likely means that what’s been put in place is doing what’s intended.

But, what, exactly, has come out of the changes? Is it significant enough to prevent a pitch clock from becoming part of the landscape in 2020? Commissioner Manfred has said that he’ll forgo unilaterally imposing the 20-second pitch clock next season if the players can get games to average 2 hours and 55 minutes per 9 innings this season.

According to the league, through Friday of last week, the average length for 9-innings was 3:00:58, that’s down from the final average of 3:05:11 for games last season, but still about six minutes shy of the mark set by Manfred and the league to keep the pitch clock from being implemented.