Making Baseball Better

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Making Baseball Better

Post by JoeMcKim »

Eventually they're going to lower the mound so much the pitchers will be pitching from a ditch.

HardcoreCardsFan
All-Star

Post by HardcoreCardsFan »

Lowering the mound will probably lead to more offense, but more offense will lead to longer games. What do you do then? CHECKMATE, Manfred.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

HardcoreCardsFan wrote:Lowering the mound will probably lead to more offense, but more offense will lead to longer games. What do you do then? CHECKMATE, Manfred.
Most of Boyfred's proposed changes tend to lend themselves to more offense in my opinion. Which all leads to longer games. I don't mind longer games if they are exciting games; that is the problem. I don't want to watch a batter scratching himself for five minutes between every pitch; but I don't need a pitch clock either. I just need the umpire to tell the batter to get in the damn box and take a swing.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I feel like it's easy to mock efforts to reduce the length of games, but it's a million little things that have made them longer, so it makes sense to combat them by trying to turn back those little things? I think?

If they started handing out strikes to batters who kept leaving the box to adjust their damn gloves, or balls for pitchers who take longer than 20 seconds, that would be a start. But that would involve the umpires doing the job they're paid for. I just want baseball to care about the entertainment value of the product they put out there. Imagine if a sitcom had seconds of dead air before and after every gag?

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Imagine if a sitcom had seconds of dead air before and after every gag?
Like a laugh track?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

The laugh track is the trot round the bases (I'm not sure about this analogy). But see how weird that show looks without the laughter, that's like a guy stepping out of the box every single swing and completely bringing the game to a halt.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Famous Mortimer wrote:I feel like it's easy to mock efforts to reduce the length of games, but it's a million little things that have made them longer, so it makes sense to combat them by trying to turn back those little things? I think?

If they started handing out strikes to batters who kept leaving the box to adjust their damn gloves, or balls for pitchers who take longer than 20 seconds, that would be a start. But that would involve the umpires doing the job they're paid for. I just want baseball to care about the entertainment value of the product they put out there. Imagine if a sitcom had seconds of dead air before and after every gag?

I think the real mockery is that the rules they are proposing tend to be ones that will add length to the game rather than take it away. Calling more strikes in a big but fair strike zone will speed up the game; as well as telling batters to get into the box and stay there. MLB could very easily communicate this to the players and umpires and then have it enforced; but at some point umpires stopped enforcing so called behaviors on the field; they were probably told not to by MLB especially after every game became televised and scrutinized. Add this to the pitch clock; reduce mound visits and even the limit of pitchers per batters faced; and you could see some reduction in game time. But I maintain it is not length of games but rather excitement level that will keep people watching. No one wants to be bored for two hours versus three hours; they want to see an exciting game.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MLB putting new rules in place to curtail sign stealing, source says
Among the new rules, according to the SI.com report, would be:

A ban on in-house outfield cameras from foul pole to foul pole.

Live broadcasts limited to each team's designated replay official, who in turn will be monitored by a security expert.

Having all other TV monitors, such as those in the clubhouse and bullpens, on an eight-second delay.

Penalties for violation of the rules would include the forfeiting of draft picks and/or international spending money, according to the report.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Roster to 26 with 13 pitcher max and September rosters to 28 with 14 pitcher max starting in 2020.