Making Baseball Better

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Re: Making Baseball Better

Post by Gashouse »

haltz wrote:I'll miss being reminded just how hard it is to hit major league pitching. Your typical pitcher as a hitter looks like he's never played baseball before but in reality probably hit cleanup on highschool team.
Exactly. Just the fact that most of them can make contact to foul off a pitch is impressive to me. Then again, I was cut from my HS team because I wasn't a good hitter.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

cardsfantx wrote: also, I'd like them to actually stay at a 25 man roster that is "active", but have a roster of say, 28, and you pick 3 "inactives" to end up with your 25 man roster...similar to hockey in a way.

it'd get more young guys up with 28, and make it count towards their service time (even if they were chosen inactive), so teams couldn't leave players down in the minors all the time. plus for injuries and such, you wouldn't have to wait on a guy to travel to the team late. they'd already be there and you'd just make them "active" the next day (and send the injured guy tot the DL, and bring up another guy to take his spot)
I think most teams would just designate three of their starting pitchers as inactive. But it's an interesting thought. What if every team was just allowed to designate their starting pitchers (maximum of 5) and then those players did not count against the active roster? Then you would five spots to split among a new DH position ( :puke: ) plus more bullpen and bench help.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

MDCardsFan wrote:Goody, are we ready for "fake" pitcher's injuries to get out of a bad matchup?
Use of blood packs and blood pills will increase exponentially this year.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

After 1968’s ‘Year of the Pitcher,’ MLB lowered the mound. Now, the league could do it again.

Gibson started 34 games that season and went the full nine innings in 28 of them. He had 13 shutouts and 268 strikeouts. In one stretch from June 6 to July 30, he won 11 straight starts — all of them complete games — and allowed only three runs.

“No one wanted to face me,” he told the Associated Press in 2008.

But Gibson was only the tip of spear in baseball’s first “Year of the Pitcher.” Twenty-two pitchers had sub-2.00 earned run averages. Gibson’s was an earth-shattering 1.12, the lowest in modern baseball history.
Pitchers had hacked the game of baseball. Top hurlers slung fastballs nearly as hard as modern greats toward a larger strike zone with more lenient officials. Umpires rarely cracked down on illegal pitches such as spitballs or curveballs coated in Vaseline or pine tar.

The resulting lack of offense had thrown baseball into a crisis. Seven teams hit .230 or lower. The Yankees as a team batted .214. The big league average ERA that season was 2.98, more than a run less than 2018′s mark. Teams combined to score 6.8 runs per game in ’68. (Last year, they scored 8.8 on average.)
But big league players and managers weren’t convinced the rule changes would have the desired effect or that baseball even had a problem.

“I wouldn’t change the rules,” Lou Brock told the New York Times before the alterations were approved. “Things have a tendency to go in cycles.”

“Good pitching can dominate good hitting on any given day,” St. Louis’s Roger Maris said, also telling the Times that “you can’t move the mound back or lower it” and that “when a good hitter is swinging freely, he’ll hit anybody and anything.”
Those proposals are likely to be assailed by pitchers, just as Gibson continues to revile the 1968 changes sparked by his historic season, joking in 2008 that he ought to sue MLB over the new mound height.

“Why should they take away the pitcher’s livelihood because he becomes proficient at it?” he asked. “That, to me, seems like what they did. The hitters weren’t doing very well against you so they say ‘Well, we’re going to fix that.’

“I still might sue baseball for that.”

TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

Adding the DH in the National League would make the teams that spend money go out and get a slugger. The Pirates on the other hand (along with other frugal teams), wouldn't spend any extra money. They would just have a backup be their DH.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Makes sense. "Disabled" is a poor word choice. Imagine having the energy to care about this like some of those in the Twitter thread.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

bout time mlb became #woke

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I know it doesn't quite work the same way but hockey has been using "Injured Reserve List" basically forever

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cards vs. Cubs in ... London? Teams are in the running to play series there in 2020

When Major League Baseball revealed its expansive plan a few years ago to increase its presence abroad and take baseball to new cities and continents and places like Cuba, the Cardinals — who have long felt their strength was a homegrown regional brand — decided to spread their wings and bid to be one of the teams selected.

This April, the Cardinals will play Cincinnati in Mexico, and other places they submitted early interest in playing were Havana (for a spring exhibition), London, and Puerto Rico.

They're in the running for the latter two in 2020.