Making Baseball Better

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Making Baseball Better

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

But seriously limit the times a catcher can go talk to the pitcher and figure out a way to rein in the cursory throws over to first.

I’d also like it if they moved the draft to Omaha and held it in the days just before the College World Series.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: Making Baseball Great Again

Post by JL21 »

heyzeus wrote:Ban all immigrant players, eliminate player health care, roll back all safety regulations like helmets and foul ball netting, and get the Russians to make sure the Cardinals win the WS next year.
BASEBALL AMERICA IS FAKE NEWS

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Limit the amount of pick off moves to first base. The change would speed up the flow of the game. It would also increase base stealing which would be exciting.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Fat Strat wrote:If baseball would just dip a little bit into the modern era we could solve this pace of play thing. A simple in-ear communication system that gets shut off when the pitcher comes to the set position would eliminate the need for anyone to go to the mound except for pitching changes. Give the catcher, pitcher, one INF, and OF'er an ear piece. You could probably also give the C a mic in his helmet and the pitcher a tiny mic on his shoulder, wrist, or glove to talk with the dugout and catcher.

Then set a rule -- you can only visit mound for injuries and pitching changes.
How do you give the pitcher a smack on the ass through ear buds? You don’t.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

I don't understand the obsession with length of games. The nature of the sport can lead to long, dragging games particularly towards the end of the season.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb ... fix-051716
The changes helped cut the average game length by 12 minutes, from three hours and eight minutes in 2014 to two hours and 56 minutes a year ago – but baseball games were still more than 20 minutes longer than the average NHL game and 40 minutes longer than the average NBA game. MLB games are shorter than an average NFL game
I like that it's kind of laid back and easy to half pay attention. I'd change the playoff format, maybe consider expanding the active roster or allowing players to re-enter to some extent. Oh, and a constitutional amendment against astroturf and the DH.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Start off the count at 3-2 instead of 0-0. Would save pitchers's arms and much time. Foul balls count as strikes same as a whiff.

No baserunners. Baserunners are kept on the scoreboard. Eliminates throws over to 1st and [expletive] like that. No stealing bases either which is a stupid part of the game.

No talking, ever. Ain't nobody got time for that [expletive].

No commercial breaks and no warm up pitches for pitchers. Half innings should take less than a minute so pitchers should stay warm.

Also, no need to throw to 1B. If an infielder stops the ball, that's an out.

No replays.

Players don't have to run the bases after home runs. Just walk over to the dugout. This will prevent hot-rodding it aroudn the basepaths whihc leads to hot-headed pitchers throwing at batters which leads to brawls which takes too much time. Ain't nobody got time for that.

But, players are required to SPRINT to their positions at the start of the inning, they won't be tired from running bases and all that stupid [expletive].

No pitching changes during innings.

No replays.

High pop ups are automatic outs. Much like infield flys are called, so to shall high pop ups to the outfield No need to field the ball, just start pitching to the next batter.

Batters can't wear batting gloves or any other armor. They adjust that [expletive] too much and it takes up too much time.

Batters clock of 5 seconds that starts at the recording of an out until the batter has to be int he batters box ready to do their JOB.

Pitch clock of 3 seconds. Since there aren't base runners, no worry about tipping when the pitch is coming.

Play 4 games a day. Ernie used to say, let's play two. I say let's play 4.

4>1

No replays.

Edited: Play a best of 5 series every day..not 4. No need to play 4 games. Just play a best of 5 series. This will eliminate boring blow outs. If a game gets out of hand, it will be over within half an hour. and thye can move on to the next one. If a series is a blowout, at least it will be over in an hour and a half. Also, just record the series as a single win or loss. Play 162 series throughout the year much like they do with single games which is an assanine way to do it.

5>4

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

vinsanity wrote:I don't understand the obsession with length of games.
I don't mind the length of games, but the pace can be sluggish at times. Things like excessive pick off moves, slow pitchers/batters, multiple pitching changes in an inning hurt the appeal of the game.
Last edited by Michael on November 15 17, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

vinsanity wrote:I don't understand the obsession with length of games. The nature of the sport can lead to long, dragging games particularly towards the end of the season.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb ... fix-051716
The changes helped cut the average game length by 12 minutes, from three hours and eight minutes in 2014 to two hours and 56 minutes a year ago – but baseball games were still more than 20 minutes longer than the average NHL game and 40 minutes longer than the average NBA game. MLB games are shorter than an average NFL game
I like that it's kind of laid back and easy to half pay attention. I'd change the playoff format, maybe consider expanding the active roster or allowing players to re-enter to some extent. Oh, and a constitutional amendment against astroturf and the DH.
The 162 game schedule ensures that you don't lose that laid back feeling. Cutting 20 minutes out of most games won't make every game feel urgent nor will it make it impossible to multi-task while watching baseball.

As for the topic of the thread, add a pitch clock and enforce it on both ends(pitcher and hitter). That cuts out the most useless dead space and also has Michael's intended impact on stolen bases. Add a limit on catcher mound visits and limit coach mound visits to one per inning instead of one per inning per pitcher.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Ban velcro

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Michael wrote:
vinsanity wrote:I don't understand the obsession with length of games.
I don't mind the length of games, but the pace can be sluggish at times. Things like excessive pick off moves, slow pitchers/batters, multiply pitching changes in an inning hurt the appeal of the game.
I just think you can see it in all sports, I just don't think it happens with a high enough frequency (i.e. relative percentage) to really hurt the appeal that much.

I'm not opposed to making pitchers or batters get a pitch in a little more quickly but I'd also hate to see a "delay of game" cost a team a game in September. I find the tension after a pitcher comes set late in a game during a playoff race exciting.

I do hate excessive pick off moves to first just give a bullpen arm a few extra pitches before a change but I don't think giving a baserunner an advantage is the right answer, either.