Making Baseball Better

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Making Baseball Better

Post by CardsofSTL »

So killing the career of the great Loogy pitchers? How about three batter minimum unless it's the end of an inning? That would make sense.

Mo is a damn genius. But [expletive] the DH

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

CardsofSTL wrote:How about three batter minimum unless it's the end of an inning? That would make sense.
This is what the proposal being reported is. Passan's tweet summarized it as a three-batter minimum, but in the full article it clarifies that the proposal is that a pitcher has to either face three batters or end an inning to leave a game without an injury.

Presumably, invoking an injury to get around the limit would trigger an automatic DL stint to discourage strategic abuse.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Kincaid wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:How about three batter minimum unless it's the end of an inning? That would make sense.
This is what the proposal being reported is. Passan's tweet summarized it as a three-batter minimum, but in the full article it clarifies that the proposal is that a pitcher has to either face three batters or end an inning to leave a game without an injury.

Presumably, invoking an injury to get around the limit would trigger an automatic DL stint to discourage strategic abuse.

Reading the article is all well and good for you intellectual types. I prefer to fly off the handle based on a headline.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i think one of the changes that mlb should strongly consider is getting rid of that sniveling little weasel rob manfred

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Hoot45 wrote:Maybe hanging on to Martinez had more to do with suspicion that DH was coming in 2019 than it did a cold trade market.
Yup

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Fat Strat wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Maybe hanging on to Martinez had more to do with suspicion that DH was coming in 2019 than it did a cold trade market.
Yup
This is all good news, because I feared that Martinez's on-deck song was going to be "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?"

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I like the idea of a 26 man roster from a management perspective. I would also then up the 40 man roster to 42 in order to accommodate the few extra players that could be needed to fill 26 men on the active. This would be a good thing for a lot of organizations who have gotten better at player development, including the Cardinals who have made decisions not to acquire players (we are doing it right now) and had to ship off players with potential because of a 40-man roster crunch. It would be good for the players as it gives more players an opportunity to have a chance to show what they can do (imagine if JMart had been able to sneak onto a roster 4-5 years ago) and for older players to not get squeezed out so easily by young, cheap players.

I've finally decided that I'm fine with the DH and I'm fine with it for competitive reasons. Teams get themselves into messes -- runners on, walking guys, making errors -- and then they can basically get a free way out by manipulating the situation to get the pitcher to the plate. Secondly, the game is WAY more technical than it was back in even the 80s. Pitchers and hitters have to put in so much work in the cage/pen, watching film, studying their opponents, etc just to stay on a roster. Asking starting pitchers to put the time in to be something more than a free out while also doing what they need to do to be quality starters is just too much. All most pitchers can do is grab a bat and hope they get lucky... which defeats a lot of the technical aspects of the modern game.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I'm a national league guy, so I love the strategy of no DH better

but if I'm being honest, I hate seeing pitchers hit...great; an automatic out...or if a guy is on, bunt him over

it's a blast when a pitcher gets ahold of one and launches it for a HR, but how often does that happen really...

also, I'd like them to actually stay at a 25 man roster that is "active", but have a roster of say, 28, and you pick 3 "inactives" to end up with your 25 man roster...similar to hockey in a way.

it'd get more young guys up with 28, and make it count towards their service time (even if they were chosen inactive), so teams couldn't leave players down in the minors all the time. plus for injuries and such, you wouldn't have to wait on a guy to travel to the team late. they'd already be there and you'd just make them "active" the next day (and send the injured guy tot the DL, and bring up another guy to take his spot)

3 extra spots per team X 30 teams, means 90 extra guys per year would be brought up/have their service time started, that might not have been up otherwise.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

I hate the DH but it will help National League teams compete, both with how they structure rosters and how they can rest players during the season. I see why teams want it.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I'll miss being reminded just how hard it is to hit major league pitching. Your typical pitcher as a hitter looks like he's never played baseball before but in reality probably hit cleanup on highschool team.