All Things Rays (Previously The Alex Colome Trade Thread)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Re: All Things Rays (Previously The Alex Colome Trade Thread

Post by st.lewis11 »

cardsfantx wrote:bob nightingale...'nuff said

until someone like a rosenthal comes out and says they still will move archer, i won't believe it

and even if they do, we don't have longoria's contract any longer to use as leverage.

a package of a weaver, flaherty, grichuk, kelly won't get it done for an archer/colome deal
I think I disagree; I feel that'd be a darn good offer, & I doubt it'd be matched or topped by other teams.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Goold frequently talks about how the Cards have a very difficult time making deals with the Rays, largely because their player eval algorithms are so similar.

With Longoria off the table, I don’t see a deal happening between STL and TB (unless it’s an overpay for Colome).

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

st.lewis11 wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:bob nightingale...'nuff said

until someone like a rosenthal comes out and says they still will move archer, i won't believe it

and even if they do, we don't have longoria's contract any longer to use as leverage.

a package of a weaver, flaherty, grichuk, kelly won't get it done for an archer/colome deal
I think I disagree; I feel that'd be a darn good offer, & I doubt it'd be matched or topped by other teams.
The Rays are pretty notorious for having very high asking prices when it comes to trading players, it's a big reason that they haven't traded Archer, Odorizzi or other rumored names so far. Off the top of my head, for both Archer and Colome I'd assume they'd want Reyes + Weaver + Kelly + other (probably lower level) stuff. Maybe the Longoria trade is a signal they're making a change, but they definitely didn't do poorly value-wise in that deal, and the urgency to trade Archer or Colome isn't as high either.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I'd do Reyes and Kelly but not Reyes, Weaver and Kelly.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Magneto2.0 wrote:I'd do Reyes and Kelly but not Reyes, Weaver and Kelly.
No, definitley not.

I would also abandon Colome and focus on trading for Archer. We can always sign a closer or let one of young arms try their hand at the role.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Fat Strat wrote:
No, definitley not.

I would also abandon Colome and focus on trading for Archer. We can always sign a closer or let one of young arms try their hand at the role.
Why? Archer is already what we hope Reyes is gonna be. Pre-surgery, I wouldn't but now, I would. I'd trade Reyes for an ace, and I think Archer is.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
No, definitley not.

Why? Archer is already what we hope Reyes is gonna be. Pre-surgery, I wouldn't but now, I would. I'd trade Reyes for an ace, and I think Archer is.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I also would not do Reyes + Weaver + Kelly. I would consider Reyes + Kelly for Colome + Archer (with others involved), but I would prefer just to focus on Archer and what it takes to get him vs. the huge package it would take to get both Archer and Colome.

Archer for Reyes straight up. I do it.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Fat Strat wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
No, definitley not.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I also would not do Reyes + Weaver + Kelly. I would consider Reyes + Kelly for Colome + Archer (with others involved), but I would prefer just to focus on Archer and what it takes to get him vs. the huge package it would take to get both Archer and Colome.

Archer for Reyes straight up. I do it.

Ahh gotcha. Agreed.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

With his extremely friendly contract, why would Tampa do that?

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

thrill wrote:With his extremely friendly contract, why would Tampa do that?
Would not be the first time they have used a talent under control to get prospects for a future run. But, they aren’t exactly throwing Archer out there as a must trade. They will likely keep him.