GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 15 19, 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: July 8 19, 5:15 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

What's the incentive of putting ball in play when the feast/famine/walk style hitter generates more offense on average?

Would be nice if they were all Trout.

People will just go back to missing the home run and find "station to station" boring. Trust me I lived in the bay area and that's the exact teams the Giants usually have had the past half decade and it's really bad.

PostPosted: July 8 19, 5:15 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Tim McCarver wrote:
How bout how hard them bats are nowadays?

That was mind numbingly bad the other day.

Tim McCarver wrote:
We used to bat with a willow twig; and when someone hit a homerun; you knew they had earned it. But they didn't have to dance around and show up the pitcher; they just ran their bases and took their handshakes. Now these bats are made with this solid wood; and they're hard--and no one is talking about it!

PostPosted: July 8 19, 5:16 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
What's the incentive of putting ball in play when the feast/famine/walk style hitter generates more offense on average?

Would be nice if they were all Trout.

People will just go back to missing the home run and find "station to station" boring. Trust me I lived in the bay area and that's the exact teams the Giants usually have had the past half decade and it's really bad.

Balance grasshopper; balance.

PostPosted: July 8 19, 9:23 pm 
All-Star

What's worse: the commissioner juicing the balls, or having no idea wtf is happening to them? I honestly don't know.

PostPosted: July 9 19, 7:25 am 
99% conan clips

what i don't understand is how they can't determine if the balls are different or not. wouldn't certain materials that make up the composition of the ball be different, whether it be weight or aerodynamics/shape or design or whatever? i just imagine MLB scientists in lab coats looking at baseballs with magnifying glasses and going back to manfred with "well we don't see anything different".

PostPosted: July 9 19, 8:08 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

I didn’t know that mlb owned Rawlings

PostPosted: July 9 19, 9:04 am 
All-Star

Hi Mr. Rawlings, it's Robb-o. ...no, Rob. Rob MANFRED, Mr. Rawlings. ...gee I don't know, I guess I didn't really think about it. They should be white, right? And the string thingies should be red, I guess? I don't know... Hold on. Hey Peggy? Peggy! PEGGY! What should the balls be like?

PostPosted: July 9 19, 12:01 pm 
Hall Of Famer

CardsofSTL wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Tim McCarver wrote:
How bout how hard them bats are nowadays?

That was mind numbingly bad the other day.

Tim McCarver wrote:
We used to bat with a willow twig; and when someone hit a homerun; you knew they had earned it. But they didn't have to dance around and show up the pitcher; they just ran their bases and took their handshakes. Now these bats are made with this solid wood; and they're hard--and no one is talking about it!

It was talked about, when Bonds was breaking records. It seems like a million years ago when Maple bats were getting poplar...

PostPosted: July 9 19, 12:21 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Revert the ball back to pre-2014 design and add the DH to the NL if you want more offense.

PostPosted: July 9 19, 12:27 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Me: If what you’re saying is correct then mlb is run by morons. What sort of operation wouldn’t bother to determine the impact on the end product when making efficiency improvements to the process?
Seems ludicrous to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next