Carlos Gonzalez - Plan B

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Carlos Gonzalez - Plan B

Post by pioneer98 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Why is everyone so quick to dismiss Ozuna?

He had a monster year in 2017, posting a 5.8 WAR at age 26. Maybe he's just figuring it out/hitting his prime.
I agree. I also think it would be dumb to just walk away from getting some kind of big bat if you lose out on Stanton. There is Ozuna, Abreu, Donaldson, etc. They don't "have" to go after any of these guys but I think they would be dumb not to. And the nice thing about these other options is they don't have that massive contract attached. And a guy like Donaldson is only for 1 year, so you would probably not have to give up your best prospects, either. It would not make sense to me to just fill out the pitching staff and stand pat when you have this glut of outfielders and pitching prospects, and money to spend, too. It's time to make a move of some kind.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

JL21 wrote:

He had a monster year in 2017, posting a 5.8 WAR at age 26. Maybe he's just figuring it out/hitting his prime.
I wouldn't hate Ozuna or anything for the reasons you cite. I just wish he had a longer track record, and some of the underlying data kind of indicates he overachieved a little last year.
Perhaps Ozuna has a higher ceiling but much lower floor than Yelich.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

pioneer98 wrote:

I agree. I also think it would be dumb to just walk away from getting some kind of big bat if you lose out on Stanton. There is Ozuna, Abreu, Donaldson, etc. They don't "have" to go after any of these guys but I think they would be dumb not to. And the nice thing about these other options is they don't have that massive contract attached. And a guy like Donaldson is only for 1 year, so you would probably not have to give up your best prospects, either. It would not make sense to me to just fill out the pitching staff and stand pat when you have this glut of outfielders and pitching prospects, and money to spend, too. It's time to make a move of some kind.
I really like the idea of Abreu or Ozuna. Especially Ozuna given his age and contract. An OF of Fowler, Pham and Ozuna.

A bat like Abreu's or Ozuna (2017) is what they need.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I can't help but picture every time Goold brings up CarGo that Mozeliak and Girsch are at a car dealership type place and they're literally eyeballing Stanton or Darvish or Donaldson... then Goold comes out wearing an ugly sport coat and says "Hey! How about this Carlos Gonzalez here! What's it gonna take?"

Then he slaps CarGo on the back and his arm falls off.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

He wouldn't be a bad guy to be a stopgap for a year or two as the top bat in the lineup until next offseason when they sign someone like Machado. That's if they can't talk Stanton into coming to St. Louis and the Blue Jays ask too much for Donaldson.

But it would be better if Mo just got the Rockies GM started to talk about Cargo then halfway through the conversation Mo changes the subject to Arenado and tricked them into trading him instead, I can dream.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JoeMcKim wrote:He wouldn't be a bad guy to be a stopgap for a year or two as the top bat in the lineup until next offseason when they sign someone like Machado. That's if they can't talk Stanton into coming to St. Louis and the Blue Jays ask too much for Donaldson.

But it would be better if Mo just got the Rockies GM started to talk about Cargo then halfway through the conversation Mo changes the subject to Arenado and tricked them into trading him instead, I can dream.
CarGo is a free agent.