Miles something or other

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: Miles something or other

Post by phins »

Holy moly. Jack Flaherty was 21 years old last year starting major league games.

His K rate stayed about the same from AAA, but his walk rate doubled. His ground ball percentage actually went up. Being able to stay consistent with your K rate and keep getting ground balls as a 21 y/o at the major league level is phenomenal, and really portends of great things to come.

To read on this board that he's not excellent rotation depth is disappointing. He's outstanding depth and probably a top-10 starting pitching prospect in baseball right now.

Alex Reyes will start games for this team in the second half of the season. Book it. They are just playing innings control at the beginning of the season. If he does relieve all year, that's a great sign because it means we stayed healthy and relatively effective.

John Gant was really bad last year. No doubt about it, but he's put up decent success in previous years and I'd expect him to be a competent #8 starter if we needed it.

The depth of this team is unequivocally its biggest strength of the moment, and the starting rotation is no exception.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

cardsfantx wrote:we have depth? where?

wacha? he can only go approx 150-160 innings because of his shoulder...and gets hammered the 3rd time through the order
Pitching 160 classifies you as an innings eater these days (seriously, hardly anyone pitches 200+ any more).

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

51 pitchers threw 165 innings or more last year. That 200 inning/workhorse is a thing of the past and will only be less important going forward

The Cardinals are like 8 starting pitchers deep.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Magneto2.0 wrote:51 pitchers threw 165 innings or more last year. That 200 inning/workhorse is a thing of the past and will only be less important going forward

To play devil's advocate(because I don't disagree directionally), only 2 division winners had less than 3 SP with 165 IP. Those 2 were the Dodgers and Astros so it's obviously no death sentence, and predicting *where* the pitcher health comes from can be borderline impossible(who would've guessed the one Cubs starter to fall short would be Hendricks?), but I do think there is some value in stacking healthy and desirable pitchers. It's just in this market and day in age you often have to choose between healthy and desirable.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Didn't teams complain of the Dodgers approach last year with their rotation as they took advantage of the 10 day DL and would put SPs on there just to skip a start or two even though the injury was of the phantom sort. Doing this let them take advantage of their depth and limit innings especially early on...

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:51 pitchers threw 165 innings or more last year. That 200 inning/workhorse is a thing of the past and will only be less important going forward

To play devil's advocate(because I don't disagree directionally), only 2 division winners had less than 3 SP with 165 IP. Those 2 were the Dodgers and Astros so it's obviously no death sentence, and predicting *where* the pitcher health comes from can be borderline impossible(who would've guessed the one Cubs starter to fall short would be Hendricks?), but I do think there is some value in stacking healthy and desirable pitchers. It's just in this market and day in age you often have to choose between healthy and desirable.
Fair point, but most teams also don't have 8 viable starters. This is where the Cardinals depth helps a lot.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

If Mikolas keeps throwing the ball the way he is so far this year, when do you go to his agent and try to extend him? In the offseason? Sometime next year? Do you just assume he's going to cost too much? Dude's pricetag goes up with each outing.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Haha...... thanks for the bump, Geddy.

Reading this thread is pretty funny. Who knew??!!!

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Where’s the thread of the bet that Mikolas would not have a better year than darvish lol

Glad I didn’t take that bet

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardsfantx wrote:Where’s the thread of the bet that Mikolas would not have a better year than darvish lol

Glad I didn’t take that bet

Was that Tim?

We'll find it..........