-go birds

Re: Machado

Post by go birds »

gregorius is a FA next year

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic hears that Manny Machado's agent, Dan Lozano, "is barely engaging clubs at the moment, seemingly taking his time and waiting for a team to jump."
The common thought has been that Machado was likely to sign before fellow mega free agent Bryce Harper, but this report suggests that that might not be the case. Machado does reportedly have an offer in hand from the White Sox, although it sounds like it's not for the length that the infielder desires. The Phillies and Yankees are also in the thick of things with Machado.
Source: The Athletic
Jan 4 - 8:36 AM

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Jocephus wrote:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic hears that Manny Machado's agent, Dan Lozano, "is barely engaging clubs at the moment, seemingly taking his time and waiting for a team to jump."
The common thought has been that Machado was likely to sign before fellow mega free agent Bryce Harper, but this report suggests that that might not be the case. Machado does reportedly have an offer in hand from the White Sox, although it sounds like it's not for the length that the infielder desires. The Phillies and Yankees are also in the thick of things with Machado.
Lozano is probably too busy trying out hookers to worry about negotiating a contract for Machado at the moment. Good lord that guy is scum. I blame him more than anybody else for how things ended with Pujols feeling the Cardinals disrespected him during the negotiations. I'm 72.6% sure that Lozano was not accurately relaying the offers from the Cardinals to Pujols in order to get Pujols to sign a bigger contract out in LA where Lozano could make even more money off of him.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic mentioned on MLB Network that the recent moves by the White Sox could help in their pursuit of Manny Machado.
The White Sox are reportedly signing Jon Jay to a one-year, $4 million deal, and as Rosenthal mentions, the outfielder just so happens to workout in the offseason with Machado and Yonder Alonso, Machado's brother-in-law. Alonso is also a player that was acquired by Chicago earlier this offseason. It's probably not a coincidence. Rosenthal also notes that money is going to be the deciding factor -- because of course it is -- but if things are close, the fact that he can play with Jay and Alonso could be a deciding factor in this.
Related: White Sox
Source: MLB Network on Twitter
Jan 8 - 9:39 AM

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Well that's very Chicago of them to hire everyone around a recruit with the hope of convincing him to play for you.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

I don't think Machado is going to the White Sox because the idea of winning 75 games in one season with Jay and Alonso is appealing.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

tlombard wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

Lozano is probably too busy trying out hookers to worry about negotiating a contract for Machado at the moment. Good lord that guy is scum. I blame him more than anybody else for how things ended with Pujols feeling the Cardinals disrespected him during the negotiations. I'm 72.6% sure that Lozano was not accurately relaying the offers from the Cardinals to Pujols in order to get Pujols to sign a bigger contract out in LA where Lozano could make even more money off of him.
I'm pretty sure Pujols' wife said the last contract the Cardinals offered was "disrespectful", and she accurately quoted the figure, so not sure on that one. Or maybe my memory is playing up, it was a long time ago. But I'm not sure I'd blame the agent for any of that.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

According to Jon Heyman, neither the Phillies nor the White Sox have offered close to the $300 million-plus that free agent Manny Machado is requesting.
There isn't so much pressure for them to go that high when the Yankees seem only willing to sign him at a bargain rate and no one else is in the mix at all. The market for Machado should be significantly hotter, but the entire league is more fixated on profits than winning.
Related: White Sox, Yankees, Phillies
Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Jan 9 - 2:32 PM

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

The guys I just watched on MLB Tonight are picking Machado to the White Sox and Harper to the Phillies. Greg Amsinger and Brian Kenny

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

Jocephus wrote:

According to Jon Heyman, neither the Phillies nor the White Sox have offered close to the $300 million-plus that free agent Manny Machado is requesting.
There isn't so much pressure for them to go that high when the Yankees seem only willing to sign him at a bargain rate and no one else is in the mix at all. The market for Machado should be significantly hotter, but the entire league is more fixated on profits than winning.
Related: White Sox, Yankees, Phillies
Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Jan 9 - 2:32 PM
Remember when the excuse for teams not spending last offseason was because they were saving up for Machado/Harper?