Machado

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Machado

Post by Famous Mortimer »

letsgocards89 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:To the pride more than the bottom line, I think.

It's not a uniquely Cardinals issue, but they specifically stand to be much more profitable at their upper 80s projection and hoping for the best than trying for more.
I wish I could tell you that you're wrong but that's precisely the issue. I think they've realized that they can't shoot for 88 wins and get the WC so now they're shooting for 92. They have the same projection numbers, if not better, than we do. They're projected ahead of the Brewers and behind the Cubs and that's their sweet spot. Hence, no interest at all in Machado or Harper.
There were some games last year where Dan McLaughlin would report 40,000+, as the camera panned over vast empty stretches of Busch. As long as they keep doing that, I don't think they mind how many people are actually coming through the turnstiles.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports reports that the Yankees and Dodgers have not made Manny Machado an official contract offer this offseason.
Machado's father, Manuel, told Z Deportes that his son has received offers from the Yankees, Dodgers and Phillies and that there's been "a lot of interest" from the White Sox, but Heyman is hearing otherwise. While it doesn't necessarily matter that he hasn't gotten "official" offers from either club, the Dodgers have never seemed likely to re-sign Machado and him landing with the Yankees has been looking less and less likely by the day.
Related: Yankees
Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Jan 18 - 12:30 PM

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

gotta be stl

According to Jon Heyman of Fancred, there is a mystery team in the mix for Manny Machado, and that they reportedly have the highest offer on the table.
Heyman notes that the impression is that the mystery team is not Machado's preferred destination, though if the Phillies and White Sox don't up their offers, perhaps the almighty dollar will win out in the end. The Yankees and Dodgers have each been connected to Machado as well this winter, but Heyman reported earlier on Friday that neither team has made an official contract offer.
Jan 18 - 8:46 PM

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Jocephus wrote:gotta be stl

According to Jon Heyman of Fancred, there is a mystery team in the mix for Manny Machado, and that they reportedly have the highest offer on the table.
Heyman notes that the impression is that the mystery team is not Machado's preferred destination, though if the Phillies and White Sox don't up their offers, perhaps the almighty dollar will win out in the end. The Yankees and Dodgers have each been connected to Machado as well this winter, but Heyman reported earlier on Friday that neither team has made an official contract offer.
Jan 18 - 8:46 PM
A Mo-stery team?

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Hyunnnnngggg

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

How PISSED will the talking heads be when he signs with St. Louis

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

If there really is a mystery team, my money's on San Diego

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Isn't a "mystery team" just the agent floating some bs out there so the actual interested teams raise their offer?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

its gotta be stl 'cause its not his preferred destination

WE GOT HIM GUYS

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Secret Weapon wrote:Isn't a "mystery team" just the agent floating some bs out there so the actual interested teams raise their offer?
Yeah. Especially when this particular mystery team appears to have the highest\biggest offer lol.