Post by Socnorb11 »

Good for him.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Machado

Post by Popeye_Card »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Explain it to me.
Revenue does not equal profits.

My company's revenue when I hired on (pretty close to when A-Rod signed his $250MM deal) was about 1/75th of what it is today. I do not expect that I would make 75x what I did back then. I don't expect that our highly compensated officers make 75x what they did back then.

Recognizing that in professional sports, the players are the product you're selling, so it is completely different. That said, A-Rod was also completely different (i.e. demonstrably better) than Bryce Harper or Manny Machado.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Popeye_Card wrote:

My company's revenue when I hired on (pretty close to when A-Rod signed his $250MM deal) was about 1/75th of what it is today. I do not expect that I would make 75x what I did back then. I don't expect that our highly compensated officers make 75x what they did back then.

Recognizing that in professional sports, the players are the product you're selling, so it is completely different. That said, A-Rod was also completely different (i.e. demonstrably better) than Bryce Harper or Manny Machado.
I miss the roids days...

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:

Your company's revenue may not be based on your labor. A lot of A-Rod's (And Harper and Machado too, despite not being as good, will bring in revenue on their own).

But even using your point, Rangers made 132% to the dollar what they made in 2001. So using them as an example here, that means baseball, that means A-Rod's current salary would be 33 million and some change AAV. You're kidding yourself if you think he'd sign for that low if he gave you the same value as then now. But his baseball value (labor value) is the dollar amount with inflation. Yes, we can defend businesses and their revenue, but you can also defend labor by the same token. So the answer lies somewhere in the middle, I.E. A-Rod, at his age and skill in 2001, unbiased, is worth 53.5 million AAV. (132% revenue of his MLB team makes his 25.2m AAV and his inflation (actual labor value for the dollar) is around 74 million AAV. I split the difference to be "fair" to both sides. (though I side with player more).

No matter how you slice it, MLB owners are getting cheap and not paying up.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on January 16 19, 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Popeye_Card wrote:

It would be awesome to know exactly how profitable MLB teams are, but we never will (and obviously I don't believe a word of what ownership says.) I'll agree that A-Rod was much, much better than Harper or Machado.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I can't believe we're fussing about multi multi millionaires not giving enough money to multi millionaires.

They should all fight to get the most that they can, thru collective bargaining or whatever. I'm pretty sure they don't need our empathy with regard to getting $300M instead of $320M.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:I can't believe we're fussing about multi multi millionaires not giving enough money to multi millionaires.

They should all fight to get the most that they can, thru collective bargaining or whatever. I'm pretty sure they don't need our empathy with regard to getting $300M instead of $320M.

Billionaires, not multi millionaires, and there's a substantial difference.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

Your company's revenue may not be based on your labor. A lot of A-Rod's (And Harper and Machado too, despite not being as good, will bring in revenue on their own).

I'm also not eligible for millions of dollars worth of endorsements when I wear my employer's logo.