Cards Sign Luke Gregerson to 2/11 deal + option

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Cards Sign Luke Gregerson to 2/11 deal + option

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Popeye_Card wrote:Well, vindication on the internet is the next best thing to watching a winning baseball team, so that will be nice to experience.
But what's important is, no-one should learn any lessons from this, and the same arguments must be had in the same ways for ever.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:Well, vindication on the internet is the next best thing to watching a winning baseball team, so that will be nice to experience.
But what's important is, no-one should learn any lessons from this, and the same arguments must be had in the same ways for ever.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

There was an argument over whether or not gregerson was signed to be the closer?

seemed pretty obvious he was, from the get-go

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Good thing we didn’t just lose like 20 games last year due to blown saves by a mediocre bullpen. Otherwise it would make the notion of Gregerson as our closer “solution” really painful and insulting!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I don’t understand why we are comparing Gregerson to Morrow. One player signed as a closer. The other signed as a middle reliever. There is no way we go through this off-season without also acquiring a closer. There was no need for us to go out and immediately sign a closer just because the Cubs got one. There’s no award for coming in first place in the fastest to sign a closer competition. Especially when the Market is full of closer options, some of which are probably better than and at least just as good as the one the Cubs raced to sign.

Morrow got a good deal. But let’s compare Morrow to whatever closer we acquire, Which will likely happen this week. And compare Gregerson to whatever middle reliever the Cubs dredge up later in the off-season. If they sign any. Most likely Gregerson will end up as our third or fourth best reliever which is exactly what he’s getting paid to be.
Removing the poster’s name on this one because I don’t want to call out anyone. But yeah this is fears realized.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I don’t understand why we are comparing Gregerson to Morrow. One player signed as a closer. The other signed as a middle reliever. There is no way we go through this off-season without also acquiring a closer. There was no need for us to go out and immediately sign a closer just because the Cubs got one. There’s no award for coming in first place in the fastest to sign a closer competition. Especially when the Market is full of closer options, some of which are probably better than and at least just as good as the one the Cubs raced to sign.

Morrow got a good deal. But let’s compare Morrow to whatever closer we acquire, Which will likely happen this week. And compare Gregerson to whatever middle reliever the Cubs dredge up later in the off-season. If they sign any. Most likely Gregerson will end up as our third or fourth best reliever which is exactly what he’s getting paid to be.
Removing the poster’s name on this one because I don’t want to call out anyone. But yeah this is fears realized.
Not that I like the plan for Gregerson to close for the Cardinals, but if I were a Cub fan I'd be pretty nervous about Morrow being the plan.

He's always had a great arm, and last season was outstanding in a setup role. But he's had a lot of trouble staying on the field, and as we should know by now pitching in the 7th/8th is different than pitching in the 9th. It is one thing being just one of the cogs in a great bullpen, setting up possibly the best closer in baseball, with a manager who wasn't afraid to go to that closer to get 4+ outs. We'll see how Morrow reacts to being the closer--some guys transition right in, others don't.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I should add before someone else does that yes, the Cubs have generally better fallback options than the Cardinals do at this point. Depending on what you think of Edwards and/or Strop.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Lets bump this one too.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

cardsfantx wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:The thing is, Morrow put up a 1.7 WAR last year. It was the best season he's ever had as a reliever, by far. Gregerson has put up 1.2 WAR or better 5 different times.

Relief pitching is just too volatile to commit the number of years and the dollars that the Cubs did for Morrow (same for the Cards and Cecil, really). He has to stay healthy and he has to be an elite reliever for 3 years in order for that contract to pay off. That's a LOT to ask of a reliever.
Morrow's reported deal is for 2 years plus an option, like Gregerson's.
But for twice as much money, I believe?

I’ll take gregerson in that case.

Even if it were even money, morrow’s injury history scares the crap out of me, so he wouldn’t have even been an option if I were calling the shots.
[expletive] me....hey, at least i was correct about morrow and his injuries, right?

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

cardsfantx wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:The thing is, Morrow put up a 1.7 WAR last year. It was the best season he's ever had as a reliever, by far. Gregerson has put up 1.2 WAR or better 5 different times.

Relief pitching is just too volatile to commit the number of years and the dollars that the Cubs did for Morrow (same for the Cards and Cecil, really). He has to stay healthy and he has to be an elite reliever for 3 years in order for that contract to pay off. That's a LOT to ask of a reliever.
Morrow's reported deal is for 2 years plus an option, like Gregerson's.
But for twice as much money, I believe?

I’ll take gregerson in that case.

Even if it were even money, morrow’s injury history scares the crap out of me, so he wouldn’t have even been an option if I were calling the shots.
[expletive] me....hey, at least i was correct about morrow and his injuries, right?
Yeah, partial credit for sure.