Evan Longoria traded to the Giants

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Evan Longoria traded to the Giants

Post by Popeye_Card »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote: This is probably one of those saber v. traditional stats arguments.

He's got nasty stuff as he was a top-5 SP in all of baseball with an awesome 11.19 K/9 last season. He doesn't walk a lot of batters. His bad ball luck in what is probably baseball's toughest division inflated his ERA and his 3.39 xFIP suggests a correction. He's been the 8th most valuable SP in baseball in the last three seasons with a 13.0 fWAR.

I'm a saber geek and those type of stats make my pants tight.
I don’t think it has to be a “versus” situation. I’ve been into sabermetrics since before it was cool. If Archer were 25 and 2 seasons into his career, I’d still be pretty excited for him to bust out. As it stands, he’s on the tail end of what should be his prime years, and the results just haven’t matched the underlying numbers. At some point, you have to look at both saber and traditional stats. You can be the best saber pitcher in history, but if at some point it isn’t leading to actual run prevention and wins, what good is it?

We’re also giving way too much credit for pitching in the AL East. He pitches half of his games in a pretty pitcher-friendly park. The Yankees, O’s, and Jays are all pretty high K teams which helps boost that K rate.

Citing K and BB rates, FIP/xFIP and fWAR is a circular argument. The K and BB rates are going to drive the rest.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Did Archer get traded to San Francisco or the guy who hit fewer home runs than Randal Grichuk in 230 more plate appearances?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

Giants going make it or break it over the next three years. I wouldn't be surprised to see the other shoe drop and a JD Martinez signing come out of left field. They're going to be paying the luxury tax penalty, iirc, with Longo in the fold.

edit: or not, per MLBTR:
In essence, then, the Giants are adding $60.5MM to their long-term ledger in order to acquire the final five years of Longoria’s contract. Moreover, it doesn’t appear that San Francisco will take much of a hit at all in terms of the luxury tax. So, when paired with the shedding of Matt Moore’s contract, the move should afford the team ample opportunity to add at least one outfielder on a multi-year deal while remaining comfortably south of the $197MM luxury tax threshold.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

So they go from losing 98 games to losing 88 games.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Socnorb11 wrote:As far as your comment about Archer not costing anything, that's not true. He'll cost a little over $8 mil over the next 4 years. That's good value, but it's still money.
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here. That you'd quibble for one second about acquiring Archer because of the money he's owed is absolute insanity. We gave that money away and more to get rid of Mike Leake from the team.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

SECOND PLACE ALERT

"During an interview on @MLBNetwork this morning, All-Star 3B Evan Longoria was describing the trade to #SFGiants and said 'it came down to a few, and really the last two were the #Cardinals and the Giants.'"
via @dgoold

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Hoot45 wrote:SECOND PLACE ALERT

"During an interview on @MLBNetwork this morning, All-Star 3B Evan Longoria was describing the trade to #SFGiants and said 'it came down to a few, and really the last two were the #Cardinals and the Giants.'"
via @dgoold
Or it was a trade threshold that the Cardinals didn't want to go over.

This isn't free agency.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Hoot45 wrote:SECOND PLACE ALERT

via @dgoold
Never been so happy to finish second.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Or it was a trade threshold that the Cardinals didn't want to go over.

This isn't free agency.
Bro you need to see a little more blue font in your life.