Miguel Sano accused of assaulting Twins photographer

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MDCardsFan
All-Star

Re: Miguel Sano accused of assaulting Twins photographer

Post by MDCardsFan »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:It’s not an affront to due process at all. No one’s saying he should be put in prison tonight.
But he should be fired immediately? That would absolutely be an affront to due process.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Due process doesn’t apply to employment.

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

"Due process" is standing in for the notion that the Twins have an obligation to not fire employees after every half-corroborated/contested report on Twitter or blog comes across their interns' feed. I think if we had heard that there were criminal charges or a submission to the Minnesota front office being brought on the same allegations, there are less people up in arms. Which is a way of saying basically nothing but that I am not surprised we have fallen into very divided camps on this. It's been the same story for the country at large for most of the past three months, and we're made to feel very strongly and adamantly or we're seen as being part of the problem or something. It's not healthy (although probably not half as harmful as the behavior itself) is all I think I would hope people would gather from another go on this roller coaster.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Lotta hot takes up in here.

I trust the investigative abilities of the stewards of our game to get this right, and I will refrain from calling for the professional-executions of the accused until those investigations are complete.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

I believe her.

We’ve got to start empowering women to speak up when this crap happens. Women deserve to live in a country where Betsy could have immediately called the police to file a report and start the process of investigating this idiot.

Unfortunately she lives in a country where the cops would have blown her off in favor of donuts and civil rights abuses.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

If you want to discuss this subject in regards to its impact on baseball and anything baseball related please feel free to do so.

Comments about rape culture, police culture, and the politics around these types of situations belong in our social forums.

I'll leave this thread unlocked for now, but if the conversations keep on this way we'll be locking it.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

love too discuss rape allegations solely on how they affect the bat-and-ball game

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Famous Mortimer wrote:love too discuss rape allegations solely on how they affect the bat-and-ball game
It seems to me that a lot is still fair play in this particular thread besides the specific story: team policies about harassment, responses to allegations, individual players' reputations, union stances and involvement, and so on.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Yeah locking the thread because it's "too real" is kind of dumb. It affects baseball in many ways. I would suggest leaving it.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Or we could just talk about whether or not the thread should be locked.

MLB can fire anyone they want; just like McDonalds. Has nothing to do with due process. Should they follow their rules regarding investigations of this type of allegation? Absolutely. If that means suspension pending investigation; okay. If it means he goes about his business until the investigation uncovers something; okay. Does that mean every person has the right to form judgements about the guy? Sure. I think he's a total [expletive]. But allowing the process to take its course does not mean nothing is being done; I would not expect MLB to announce anything regarding the disciplinary process involving one of their employees.