2018 - 25 Man Roster (as of 1/4/2018)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2018 - 25 Man Roster (as of 1/4/2018)

Post by dmarx114 »

Fat Strat wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:First post has the right 25 if we have a 7 man pen.

That said, this 7 man pen makes me want to puke.
Especially since they said they plan to carry an 8 man pen this season, so there will be an extra arm in there that's not even identifiable at this point! Yeah us!
Reyes for voit seems like the logical May move.

But there's a lot that will happen before that point.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Opening day look of the 25-man:

Position starters: Molina, Gyorko, DeJong, Wong, Carpenter, Ozuna, Pham, Fowler
Bench: J. Martinez, Garcia, Grichuk, Kelly

Pitching starters: C. Martinez, Wacha, Wainwright, Weaver, Mikolas
Long relievers: Lyons, Bowman, Flaherty
Setup relievers: Cecil, Brebbia, Gant (Reyes after May--moved to closer)
Closer(s): Tuivailala, Gregerson

*Flaherty and Reyes replace whoever fails in the rotation, in that order unless it's mid-July, then Reyes takes over the 5th spot. Reyes at closer possibly until then.
**Late September could have Flaherty as setup and Reyes as closer (if he is proven dominant in that role for 2018--and I think he can be Jansen-esque in it). Really depends on Weaver holding up. Wacha's shoulder. Wainwright's effectiveness. Lots of variables. Lots of rewarding potential.
***Jose Martinez is good enough to have 400 ABs. Will he? DeJong getting over 3 fWAR again? Molina's demise should be balanced with Kelly's rise. Soooooooo many variables. Strap in.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on January 16 18, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Opening day look of the 25-man:

Position starters: Molina, Gyorko, DeJong, Wong, Carpenter, Ozuna, Pham, Fowler
Bench: J. Martinez, Garcia, Grichuk, Valera, Kelly

Pitching starters: C. Martinez, Wacha, Wainwright, Weaver, Mikolas
Long relievers: Lyons, Bowman, Flaherty
Setup relievers: Cecil, Brebbia
Closer(s): Reyes, Gregerson

*Valera over Voit because athleticism and lefty bat [switch actually] is needed over a power righty who plays one position. OPSs are a wash too.
**Brebbia edges out Tuivailala who I believe is a depth guy at best.
***Flaherty and Reyes replace whoever fails in the rotation, in that order unless it's mid-June, then Reyes takes over the 5th spot. Reyes at closer possibly until then.
****Late September could have Flaherty as setup and Reyes as closer (if he is proven dominant in that role for 2018--and I think he can be Jansen-esque in it). Really depends on Weaver holding up. Wacha's shoulder. Wainwright's effectiveness. Lots of variables. Lots of rewarding potential.
*****Jose Martinez is good enough to have 400 ABs. Will he? DeJong getting over 3 fWAR again? Molina's demise should be balanced with Kelly's rise. Soooooooo many variables. Strap in.
******14 position players. 14 position players. 14 position players. Yes. Why? Lots of multi inning guys in that pen. I don't think they want to get crazy with the pen. Cardinals are trend setters, not followers.
Tui is out of options so he is essentially guaranteed a roster spot over Brebbia. Also, there's no way in hell that they carry 14 position players and 11 pitchers. No team has carried an 11 man staff in years. The industry standard now is a 12-13 man staff, and we've already committed to an 8 man bullpen.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Reyes is out till May.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

So I guess the plan with Reyes is the Carlos Martinez route? Bullpen this year, rotation beyond?

I understand why they want to do it, but consider me skeptical of Wainwright looking anything better than a 4.8 ERA starter and The Lizard King being better than a 5th starter.

Could Reyes pitch in Memphis, slowly building up his arm, monitoring his innings and be in the rotation by the ASB?

Rambling here, but our lack of urgency to upgrade the pen is flabbergasting. It’s like we are now depending on Reyes in the pen this year.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I guess I can sort of understand the idea of not acquiring any more starting pitchers, and having Flaherty backing up the rotation in case any starters go down. But Reyes is not back until May, and then who knows how effective he will be right away. And he will be on some kind of innings limit I imagine. Maybe as a reliever he wouldn't come close to his innings limit, I don't know. But there are still just too many question marks in the bullpen. The bullpen looks like this team's biggest weakness.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The Cardinals signed Broxton to a disaster of a two year contract and somehow not only avoided financial ruin but also bragged about their finances if you think I care about overpaying for a reliever. Fix it.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Marp is a not an excellent 3rd baseman. Hitting is about the only thing he does well. He has an excellent eye, but I'm not even sure he's better than "good" at hitting. He's had great years recently. But I feel like those days are gone.
Over the last 3 seasons Carpenter is a top 20 hitter.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Swirls wrote: Tui is out of options so he is essentially guaranteed a roster spot over Brebbia. Also, there's no way in hell that they carry 14 position players and 11 pitchers. No team has carried an 11 man staff in years. The industry standard now is a 12-13 man staff, and we've already committed to an 8 man bullpen.
I fixed my post. Did not remember that about Tuivailala and I have Gant in until Reyes can be added to the 25-man. Valera out. Did not have my count right. :x

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Swirls wrote: Tui is out of options so he is essentially guaranteed a roster spot over Brebbia. Also, there's no way in hell that they carry 14 position players and 11 pitchers. No team has carried an 11 man staff in years. The industry standard now is a 12-13 man staff, and we've already committed to an 8 man bullpen.
I fixed my post. Did not remember that about Tuivailala and I have Gant in until Reyes can be added to the 25-man. Valera out. Did not have my count right. :x
Yeah, that looks accurate if we go with the 8 man pen.