Post by Famous Mortimer »

If you can ignore this was written by a Cubs fan:

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballpros ... l-as-foul/

Thoughts?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Collusion

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think all of the bigger-name free agents will end up getting fair contracts, eventually. I think it's a giant game of chicken by both sides, honestly.

If the owners are colluding, how do you explain Tyler Chatwood getting 3 years and $38 mil, after putting up a 4.69 ERA last year? How do you explain Wade Davis, a 32 year old relief pitcher, getting 3 years and $52 mil?

I don't think the players are getting screwed, and the owners obviously aren't getting screwed. If we're going to worry about unfair financial leverage, we should be discussing why fans have to pay 80 bucks for a ticket and $4.50 for a hot dog. Yu Darvish will get his...... don't worry. Socnorb11 and Famous Mortimer are the ones getting scammed.

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

I could see it being the same thing as collusion. I doubt that anyone is dumb enough to put words to voicemail or anything, but there is no way that this offseason is anything but an attempt to set the tone for free agency under the new CBA's parameters. There are more factors at play obviously, and I think that the fact that there are so few currently contending teams is chief among them, but it still feels off.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

The guy writing the article is dead on.

Owners have been b***f*****g the players for years and it won't stop now. May be February before Darvish is signed.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

I have a very different definition of b***f****** and it isn't having to wait until February to get a multi-million dollar contract.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

schoenfield's article nails it IMO...

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post ... ove-season

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

As long as we can still pay $80.00 for a ticket on a desirable weekend date and always buy $10.00 beers, it doesn't matter to me.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

A U of I grad, living in Boston, who is a Cubs fan doesn't stand much of a chance of me taking him seriously. But my bias set aside, even after reading the handful of collusion theories floating around the internet recently, I still don't see it. I just think right now there are a number of factors adding up to a giant game of chicken: parity in player evaluation, shared aversion to long-term FA deals, tanking trajectories and consequential talent gaps, Miami's lingering fire sale, and a Boras-heavy influence on the current class, to name a few.

Maybe the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, Astros, and a few others are slow to make impact moves and that's suspicious to impatient sportswriters with nothing else to post about, but we're (Cardinals fans) over here thinking that few of these guys close the gap on tank-built clubs with a lot of cost controlled talent, so there's not a strong appeal to do anything but try and wait for the right deal. I have to imagine other clubs in a similar position feel the same way.

I love a good conspiracy, but the whole "billionaires have money and they're not spending it fast enough so they must be colluding" argument just doesn't add up for me yet. So what if Darvish signs in February? If people want to b**** about arbitration salary suppression and luxury tax, I'm all ears, but trying to link that to free agency collusion is a stretch.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

everyone is keeping their powder dry for next year. All the big dogs have serious luxury tax concerns and the smaller players are living in the statcast era.

its really that simple.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

go birds wrote:everyone is keeping their powder dry for next year. All the big dogs have serious luxury tax concerns and the smaller players are living in the statcast era.

its really that simple.
That is my guess.