MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Cardinals and Arbitration

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Good deal. Going to arb with Ozuna wouldn't have been a good way to start off convincing him to stay.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

So with all arbitration eligible players signed...they know exactly what their payroll is and may now finally add another bat or arm? Maybe? Yeah? Ok no.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Ozuna's $9M salary is $3M below the estimate from Cot's contracts. Wacha's was also below projections. That means, if you do not include the $6M that we're paying Seattle to start Leake, our opening day payroll projects to be $138M. That's a decrease of $10M from opening day last year in terms of players on the roster, and a decrease of $7M from '16. We're also getting cash from San Diego from Gyorko's deal, but Cot's just lumps that in with it and we were receiving that last year as well.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Fat Strat wrote:Ozuna's $9M salary is $3M below the estimate from Cot's contracts. Wacha's was also below projections. That means, if you do not include the $6M that we're paying Seattle to start Leake, our opening day payroll projects to be $138M. That's a decrease of $10M from opening day last year in terms of players on the roster, and a decrease of $7M from '16. We're also getting cash from San Diego from Gyorko's deal, but Cot's just lumps that in with it and we were receiving that last year as well.
inb4 more money lining DeWallet's pockets.

I don't see them saving anything for next year's FA class, really. It is a bit surprising they haven't signed another reliever or two. Or even another starter like Lynn. I am curious what the long term plan is because right now it all seems a little mixed between the Fowler and Ozuna deals, IMO.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Does that payroll include the money we are paying Leake?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'd be surprised if we're done in free agency. Addison Reed just makes too much sense.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

heyzeus wrote:I'd be surprised if we're done in free agency. Addison Reed just makes too much sense.
Considering our current payroll situation, there really is no excuse not to sign Reed. They have tons of money. We went into this season expecting a payroll bump and we have spent most last 6 months actively cutting payroll. That’s not an indictment, as we have also improved the roster, it is just a fact. Going to some extremes to gain payroll flexibility and then not to use it when you have an obvious hole seems counterproductive.

I do think they want to save some money to add Donaldson at the deadline. That almost seems like a foregone conclusion to me, similar to our pursuit of a Marlins OF’er this winter.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I want Donaldson, and I also understand that he may not be available at this time. All that said, what if the Cardinals are in a similar spot where they've been the last two seasons-- in the hunt for the playoffs but far from a sure thing-- but the Blue Jays are in it too? What's their plan then?