Molina plans to retire after his contract

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Molina plans to retire after his contract

Post by Jocephus »

Yadier Molina said Monday that he plans to retire after his contract runs out following the 2020 season.
The three-year, $60 million contract extension Molina signed just before Opening Day last season begins this year. He will be 38 when that deal runs out, so it's not a surprise that he plans to hang up his cleats at that point. Molina has remained a workhorse behind the plate even in his mid-30s and is coming off a fine offensive season that saw him bat .273/.312/.439 with 18 homers and 82 RBI. Carson Kelly will be Yadi's backup this season and the Cardinals could steadily increase his playing time during the course of Molina's deal.
Source: Derrick Goold on Twitter
Jan 15 - 4:24 PM

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Molina plans to retire after his contract

Post by Freed Roger »

sounds like a good plan. Hope he holds up that long.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

While I don't want Molina to fall off a cliff playing wise, it is nice to know that there is an end to things and the team doesn't have to worry about being put in a spot where he wants to keep playing and either let him go and make some fans and him unhappy when he finishes his career with another team or keep him around delaying the catcher of the future whether that is Kelly or somebody else.

Molina's feelings may change in a couple of years but I hope the situation stays as it is until then. I think Kelly backing up this year and then taking on a larger role the final two years is a solid plan.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Go spend a billion dollars to win him another championship. They won’t.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Go spend a billion dollars to win him another championship. They won’t.
I definitely agree with the sentiment. Molina needs another ring and there is a defined end of the timeline as of right now.

As a fan, I wouldn't complain when it happened.

As a fan, I wouldn't stop complaining two years after the championship when the Cards are still trying to recover from going crazy on salaries and are losing 100 games a season after trading away all their assets in deals to get teams to take on the salary they need to dump.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Shouldn't take a billion...but I am on board with spending some scratch and getting another trophy. For Molina and for after Molina; cuz I am greedy like that.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I like this. Maybe keeps Kelly happy.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

That's the right decision.

A secondary right decision would be to not freak out when you're not on the lineup card every single day.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Go spend a billion dollars to win him another championship. They won’t.
Was hoping to see a lot of positive posts about a hall of fame career and somehow we get this. Smh.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

We have been so spoiled having Yadi on the team for 14 seasons. I am thankful for another.