Molina plans to retire after his contract

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Re: Molina plans to retire after his contract

Post by jagtrader »

Hoot45 wrote:
jagtrader wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:Another thing I like to point out is Molina right now is #18 on the list of games played at catcher. But he's going to pass a ton of guys real soon. After this next season he will probably at least be #12 (only needs to play 104 games to get there).
Innings is probably more relevant than games. Don't know if that list is readily available anywhere.
A quick look at some of the names discussed, here is how they rank in terms of innings played as a catcher. Two things to keep in mind: Posey has logged a lot of innings as a 1B. For Kendall, at least 2/3 of his innings caught were logged before PITCHF/x and his entire career before Statcast.

Kendall 17,478.1
Molina 14,370.2
Martin 12,327.2
Posey 6,794.0
I've looked at this in the past. Posey and Molina really don't have anything to do with one another when it comes to Hall of Fame discussion. Molina will likely make it. He'll catch in the neighborhood of 17,000 innings while being among the five greatest defensive players at that position. Pretty simple really.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Here’s a fun new wrinkle in the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs rivalry: Cards captain Yadier Molina and young Cubs catcher Willson Contreras are engaged in a little offseason war of the words.

Contreras started it by saying over the weekend that he wants to be “the best catcher in the game for a long time” and Molina responded on Instagram on Wednesday with a picture of himself with Buster Posey and Salvador Perez that was captioned, “Respect the ranks!”

Ahh, yeah, this is could get good in 2018.
https://sports.yahoo.com/yadier-molina- ... 38882.html

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Jocephus wrote:
Here’s a fun new wrinkle in the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs rivalry: Cards captain Yadier Molina and young Cubs catcher Willson Contreras are engaged in a little offseason war of the words.

Contreras started it by saying over the weekend that he wants to be “the best catcher in the game for a long time” and Molina responded on Instagram on Wednesday with a picture of himself with Buster Posey and Salvador Perez that was captioned, “Respect the ranks!”

Ahh, yeah, this is could get good in 2018.
https://sports.yahoo.com/yadier-molina- ... 38882.html
I don't think that's very cool of Yadi. I would hope that every player has the drive to want to be the best at their position. That doesn't really disrespect other great players that have come before you.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

The most offensive part of that is calling Salvador Perez on par with Molina, Posey, or Contreras. But Contreras is basically a newborn puppy of a baseball player so I'm sure he'll do plenty to irritate others even if this was innocuous(e.g. he unwittingly dropped the f bomb during a panel at Cubs Convention this weekend).

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

jagtrader wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
jagtrader wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:Another thing I like to point out is Molina right now is #18 on the list of games played at catcher. But he's going to pass a ton of guys real soon. After this next season he will probably at least be #12 (only needs to play 104 games to get there).
Innings is probably more relevant than games. Don't know if that list is readily available anywhere.
A quick look at some of the names discussed, here is how they rank in terms of innings played as a catcher. Two things to keep in mind: Posey has logged a lot of innings as a 1B. For Kendall, at least 2/3 of his innings caught were logged before PITCHF/x and his entire career before Statcast.

Kendall 17,478.1
Molina 14,370.2
Martin 12,327.2
Posey 6,794.0
I've looked at this in the past. Posey and Molina really don't have anything to do with one another when it comes to Hall of Fame discussion. Molina will likely make it. He'll catch in the neighborhood of 17,000 innings while being among the five greatest defensive players at that position. Pretty simple really.
I don't want to debate whether Molina deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but doesn't his candidacy seem to mirror that of Omar Vizquel. Batting Average/on base is similar. Yadi obviously has more power, but Vizquel brought a lot more value in speed. Both are in the upper upper echelon of defense at their respective positions. Just something to throw out there when considering how much of a "lock" Molina is for the HOF.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

1:07
Connor Z: Can Yadier Molina make it to the HOF based on the reputation of his arm and glove, or is he going to have to show a bit more?

1:09
Travis Sawchik: I think his case has largely been made and Jay is probably the better person to ask … but that Glove is HoF worthy

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

For the record, I stand by my prediction (pre-2011 World Series) that 2 World Series rings would get him in the HoF. Therefore, I have believed for quite some time that he's in.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Me too.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

I’d love to see Yadi backstop one more improbable Cardinals WS to cement his legacy.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote:I’d love to see Yadi backstop one more improbable Cardinals WS to cement his legacy.
Let's make it this year.