Saint Louis Cardinals and The Athletic

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Saint Louis Cardinals and The Athletic

Post by Jocephus »

i'm already annoyed at how much they love themselves. good writers and all.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Jocephus wrote:i'm already annoyed at how much they love themselves. good writers and all.
The self congratulation is a bit much

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

cardsfantx wrote:bernie has been downright AWFUL since leaving the PD for 101.

Every article is just a matheny bash...i'm fine with bashing matheny, but it was EVERY FREAKING ARTICLE.

the articles just sounded like him mailing it in/collecting a paycheck.

so i for one, will still not be paying for sports content
It's almost felt like he was going for a different style at 101. I often wondered if he wasn't just transcribing something he said on air and turning it into an article. I suspect the quality of his writing will go up to match the quality of his employer.

Not that I'll subscribe.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Fat Strat wrote:I often wondered if he wasn't just transcribing something he said on air and turning it into an article.
I haven't listened to any sports talk radio in years and only see Bernie's posts when linked here but I would imagine that they are always along the lines of what he says on his show. I can't imagine it being any other way really. After filling a few hours of airtime on the radio, is there really much left to be said in a post to the website?

I can spout a lot of BS and never shut up but I don't think I could come up with enough material to fill a show and a blog the same day. I don't know of very many who could so I pretty much give anybody who writes and does a radio show a pass on saying the same thing in both formats.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I could not imagine a world where I'd think listening to sports talk radio was a good idea, but I also read Bernie's articles - if it's a summary of what he's said on air, I don't care (and neither do his employers, presumably, who get clicks either way).

Re: Jocephus above, I mean, if they said "well, we have this new product we want you to pay for, and it's...alright, I guess?" it would be a bit weird. They kinda have to promote themselves.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Bernie has become garbage. Totally nonessential.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Figured he was next. He was pining hard for it.

How much do yall think Saxon or someone of his ilk gets paid? What I'd really like to know is how many subscribers they have

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

I bet the salary for the more general, less connected guys is around 60-75k. Could be overshooting. Rosenthal for instance, though, is definitely a bit more than that. Just guessing based on what writers for Fangraphs, sort of the jumping off point for some of these guys, have alluded to making (would guess very mid-5-figures there but that's a guess).

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Why don't you ask that trio what they think of my work? You might be surprised. But, at least you asked a question. Good.
by rhummel 3:42 PM

How does it feel to see The Athletic court Goold, Saxon and Bernie while ignoring you? They aren't interested in shills.
by Jon Rainvold 3:41 PM