Harper to Cubs in 2019

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JS04
All-Star

Harper to Cubs in 2019

Post by JS04 »

I see a lot of people discussing this in the Darvish thread like it's a foregone conclusion.

One of two things will happen in regards to Harper:

1) No way in hell the Cubs sign him (which is the camp I'm in).

2) They sign him, and Bryant goes elsewhere after his arb years are up.

I know people are mentioning how much money the Cubs have, but there's no chance in hell they're going to have two 300 million dollar players on their roster (and you can save this for whenever they do and laugh at me).

Both of those guys will be 300 plus mil (at least if you believe everything that's been said). Show me how that's feasible for the Cubs while also maintaining a competitive team in other areas (and, with the way their roster is currently constructed, a lot of those young guys are going to be due big raises in the near future as well).

In conclusion - I'm not at all scared of the Harper to the Cubs talk, because even if it doesn't happen (it won't), Bryant will be gone shortly after.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Harper to Cubs in 2019

Post by Tim »

Bryant and Harper are besties. They will play together for a long, long time.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Bryant goes elsewhere after his arb years are up

That’s still three years where the Cardinals would be noncompetitive.

JS04
All-Star

Post by JS04 »

Tim wrote:Bryant and Harper are besties. They will play together for a long, long time.
Great - so Harper and/or Bryant are going to sign for tens of millions of dollars less because they're good buddies? That's happened in so many other sports with other superstars, right? (Hint: it hasn't).

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

JS04 wrote:
Tim wrote:Bryant and Harper are besties. They will play together for a long, long time.
Great - so Harper and/or Bryant are going to sign for tens of millions of dollars less because they're good buddies? That's happened in so many other sports with other superstars, right? (Hint: it hasn't).
Cubs are going to sign a mega TV deal soon. They'll be able to afford them.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html
Last edited by Tim on February 12 18, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

The most financially responsible answer is probably that they let Bryant walk in 2021 since he's going to hit FA at a much older age than Harper did. Which still means three long years of a pretty potent combo. And depending on where the luxury tax and their other commitments end up, they still might be able to fit both of them if they let others walk.

That said, I'm going to love it if either of Bryant and Harper take a slight discount to play together to create the Golden State Warriors of baseball.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Bryant is privately still very salty about how the Cubs played games with his service time at the start of his career.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

TimChopsula wrote:Bryant is privately still very salty about how the Cubs played games with his service time at the start of his career.
This I did not know, however I do remember when they did that to him.

But it begs the question, if this is private how do you know?

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

I know a guy

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

There's also the fact that he apparently didn't even hear them out on an extension. He's definitely going to want a payday after those shenanigans.

And given that he's going to hit FA at 30 because of the shenanigans, it's not hard to think that they'll let him walk.