Maybe The Worst Baseball Idea Yet

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Re: Maybe The Worst Baseball Idea Yet

Post by jagtrader »

Michael wrote:
mikechamp wrote:If MLB strays too far from its roots
I think a problem with baseball is an unwillingness to stray from its roots out of a misguided sense of tradition. Other leagues make pragmatic changes their rules every year to make improvements to their games, but baseball continues to keep rules and traditions that are obviously terrible.
The NFL has so effectively legislated defense out of the game the Patriots gained 600 yards and still lost to the Eagles. It's basically Tecmo Bowl.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Momo wrote:If I had to pick one issue, it'd be shortening the season. It might be an unorthodox pick in light of the current pace of play talk, but I think it's a major issue.

I also don't think star players need to be used more, that's not what's hurting baseball. They need to be marketed better. It's insane how far outside the mindshare of the public most baseball stars are.
dmarx114 wrote:Why do we want to shorten the season? I certainly don't want fewer baseball games to watch.
A shorter season would (theoretically) mean a higher quality of play, as well as potentially injecting some longevity into some player careers.

It would also potentially eliminate some interleague games as well as make games matter a little more. Both would be good things IMO.
Higher quality of play? Longer careers?

Ummmm, I don't buy it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I don’t get the urgency to drastically change the game. I mean tv deals are getting better and cash is rolling into the sport.

I’m not a big fan of speeding up the game though I do understand it. Millenials continue to ruin everything, amirite? But I much prefer the slower, no clock setup, than a pitch clock or anything like that. Still, it wouldn’t bug me. I’ve been to minor league games that do have a pitch clock and honestly you really wouldn’t even know it’s there if you weren’t adept (ahem, mrs aw).

I’d be more in favor of expanding rosters and contracting the league than shortening a season. Though this will obviously not happen anytime soon, or ever.

My biggest gripe is mlb was/is a pita to watch. Compared to the nfl, it’s nearly impossible. Almost all in market nfl games are available for free with a tv and antenna. Probably 95%. Conversely, I’d guess only about 5% of in market games in mlb are available that way. If your team is lucky enough to play on a Sunday and fox picks it up or play in the World Series. To get mlb games you have to subscribe to cable or steal it. And that’s not changing and is a huge problem.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I know anecdotes are pointless, but I’ve noticed if I do it-it happens a lot. Cord cutting in particular. but my kid thinks I like football more than baseball. I mean, sure college football I do enjoy. But I always like baseball more.

It’s just....

Fs go [expletive] blows donkey balls. So watching a cards game is like having a seizure and NCAAF is on watch espn and ota channels and the nfl is on ota channels. So....that’s what we watch. Football. Because it’s available

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

dmarx114 wrote:
Momo wrote:If I had to pick one issue, it'd be shortening the season. It might be an unorthodox pick in light of the current pace of play talk, but I think it's a major issue.

I also don't think star players need to be used more, that's not what's hurting baseball. They need to be marketed better. It's insane how far outside the mindshare of the public most baseball stars are.
dmarx114 wrote:Why do we want to shorten the season? I certainly don't want fewer baseball games to watch.
A shorter season would (theoretically) mean a higher quality of play, as well as potentially injecting some longevity into some player careers.

It would also potentially eliminate some interleague games as well as make games matter a little more. Both would be good things IMO.

Ummmm, I don't buy it.
Ummmm, why not?

It's the same discussion that's been going on in the NBA for years now. An overly long season wears down players and can cause a drop in quality of play from fatigue. The travel schedule that they follow is grueling and insane. Similarly, wearing down players over long seasons repeatedly in that way also could result in shorter careers.

According to a few reports around the last CBA negotiations, there was interest from the players in shortening the season for those exact reasons. I suspect they know more about fatigue and its effects on their bodies than you do.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Momo wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:

Ummmm, I don't buy it.
Ummmm, why not?

It's the same discussion that's been going on in the NBA for years now. An overly long season wears down players and can cause a drop in quality of play from fatigue. The travel schedule that they follow is grueling and insane. Similarly, wearing down players over long seasons repeatedly in that way also could result in shorter careers.

According to a few reports around the last CBA negotiations, there was interest from the players in shortening the season for those exact reasons. I suspect they know more about fatigue and its effects on their bodies than you do.
How many games are we talking about?

And there is a mighty big difference between the physical toll on a basketball player's body vs a baseball player's body.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

A baseball team only receives around 80 balls in play in an average game. Football, by comparison, might be 150 possessions. Baseball needs a long season because a single game doesn't actually reveal much. Extremely large sample sizes are needed to determine which teams are best. Mathematically, 69 MLB games are needed to reveal as much skill as 12 NFL games (or almost 6 MLB games per 1 NFL game). In a shorter season, you aren't necessarily trading for higher quality play because guys are more rested. Rather you're trading for randomness to have a greater influence. That's also why playoffs can get so crazy. Small sample sizes.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Fs go [expletive] blows donkey balls. So watching a cards game is like having a seizure and NCAAF is on watch espn and ota channels and the nfl is on ota channels. So....that’s what we watch. Football. Because it’s available
I agree with you on FS Go which is why I am enjoying YouTubeTV so much, especially since they added MLB Network, the Turner family (TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, etc.) and NBA TV in the last week or so. You don't need a different app and can watch them on your TV or on the go just like anything else. And you can even set them to DVR.

#@$%@#$%#$ Now I just realized why forgetting the iPad today annoyed me so much when I noticed I didn't have it with me. I was going to prop it up next to my monitors at work and watch the first Spring Training game while I work. Now I am going to have to resort to just having it on my phone which is not nearly as nice.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

All minor league games to start extra innings with a runner on 2nd.

So, get ready for a lot of:

-Intentional walk
-Bunt runners to 2nd and 3rd
-Intentional walk
-Hope for double play

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:All minor league games to start extra innings with a runner on 2nd.

So, get ready for a lot of:

-Intentional walk
-Bunt runners to 2nd and 3rd
-Intentional walk
-Hope for double play
Haha right... should have just skipped to bases loaded with one out and really saved some time.