Maybe The Worst Baseball Idea Yet

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Re: Maybe The Worst Baseball Idea Yet

Post by Faceman »

tlombard wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:4 warm up pitches between innings.
The warm up pitches between innings is probably OK since that is all taken up by commercial break anyway. They'd just be later onto the field or standing around while waiting to come back from the break.

I would possibly be in favor of eliminating almost all warm up tosses for a reliever coming in during the middle of an inning though. Make sure they're ready to go when they're called on and then maybe give them two or three pitches so the pitcher and catcher can get on the same page and then it's go time. I don't think you can completely eliminate the warm up pitches for a reliever because they do need to get a feel for the mound and where the previous pitchers have dug out their little landing areas.

And bring back the bullpen carts so they get to the mound faster but don't make them just normal carts, have some real fun with them.
Well, make the commercial breaks shorter. I like what some broadcasts are doing, airing commercials picture-in-picture while not cutting away from the stadium. Sprinkle in more of those and cut down on the in between innings breaks.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Michael wrote:
mikechamp wrote:If MLB strays too far from its roots
I think a problem with baseball is an unwillingness to stray from its roots out of a misguided sense of tradition. Other leagues make pragmatic changes their rules every year to make improvements to their games, but baseball continues to keep rules and traditions that are obviously terrible.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this particular proposal, but I don't think it's as bad as other posters in this thread. I'd like to see more "out there" proposals from baseball.
I don't have an issue with the DH in both leagues or realigning to a North-South-East-West no leagues proposal. This is too far for me.
I'll +1 Michael and ask, is this current proposal that much more radical than the DH was when it was first introduced? It's a 1 inning DH.

Throwing radical ideas out like this are good ways to at least find small things they could do to improve the game.
My thinking is yes, this is quite a bit more radical. We don't know how many DHs it is, only that you get to do as long as you are trailing.

I understood both this idea and the DH were born out of the same goal, to add excitement for the game. I don't know how to explain it, but this feels a lot more gimmicky to me.

Has anyone asked the obvious, serious, question:

So, bottom of the 9th and the home team is down 1. Their 1,2,3 hitters are 'due' up. MAnager sends out some conglomeration of hitters from the top of the order though not in the original lineup sequence (for whatever reason) that score a run and tie the game. It's now the bottom of the 10th, still a tie game. Same pitcher for the visiting team. Who is due up? Does it go back to the original lineup in which case it's entirely possible the pitcher is going to face the same hitters again?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Why should mlb let Mike Trout sit out the WS? He should be in a glass case with a sign that says break in case of emergency. Dumb to not have your best players in the biggest moments.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Here's an idea: Once you conquer a team in the playoffs, you can select whomever you want from the losing team's roster to join your team as you try to conquer your next-round opponent. The winning team would still need to maintain a 25-man roster, so they'd have some hard decisions to make on the 20-25 spots on the roster, but those who were dropped off would still get rings should their team win the WS.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

vinsanity wrote:Throwing radical ideas out like this are good ways to at least find small things they could do to improve the game.
Harvard Business Review recently wrote about this: https://hbr.org/2017/08/to-come-up-with ... a-possible

It's a method I use in my work. In a group setting, sometimes it is hard to get a brainstorm going. But the moment someone suggests a really bad idea, suddenly everyone has an opinion and is coming up with better ones. You just need someone in the room whose ego isn't worried about suggesting an intentionally bad idea. It's kind of amazing to watch.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Fat Strat wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:Get rid of commercials and charge a premium for ads around the ballpark (infield & bases are off-limits)
Curious to see what people would think about continuing the game during commercial breaks. Show the commercial, but leave the game on in a corner. You won't miss anything -- just the unnecessary commentary/announcing.
Works for soccer.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Has anyone asked the obvious, serious, question:

So, bottom of the 9th and the home team is down 1. Their 1,2,3 hitters are 'due' up. MAnager sends out some conglomeration of hitters from the top of the order though not in the original lineup sequence (for whatever reason) that score a run and tie the game. It's now the bottom of the 10th, still a tie game. Same pitcher for the visiting team. Who is due up? Does it go back to the original lineup in which case it's entirely possible the pitcher is going to face the same hitters again?
It's a half baked idea so I'm sure not all kinks have been worked out. Here are a few variations of the idea that would work, IMO, without many other changes necessary.

1. Once during the game the manager can start the inning with any batter but then batting order continues as usual. i.e. in the 6th your 8 spot is up? Jump to 1 and it continues as previous. - This would be less radical than a DH, IMO. It changes some of the strategy with working around batters in tight spots and it doesn't seem that complex to implement.

2. Once, in the final frame of a game in which the team is trailing, any player is eligible to PH for a player due up. The batter removed, is removed entirely from the game and his position is now occupied by his PH as usual. i.e. So if Kozma is due up in the bottom of the ninth while you trail batting 8th, he can be pitch hit with Pujols who was batting 3rd. Now Pujols is in the 8 spot and the 3 spot is empty and would need to be filled with another position player. So that makes it available in the top of the ninth, bottom of the 12th if you're trailing. Not truly equitable tho it adds a slight amount to home field advantage.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Play with caution: this video contains verbal and visual [expletive].

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

vinsanity wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Has anyone asked the obvious, serious, question:

It's a half baked idea so I'm sure not all kinks have been worked out. Here are a few variations of the idea that would work, IMO, without many other changes necessary.

1. Once during the game the manager can start the inning with any batter but then batting order continues as usual. i.e. in the 6th your 8 spot is up? Jump to 1 and it continues as previous. - This would be less radical than a DH, IMO. It changes some of the strategy with working around batters in tight spots and it doesn't seem that complex to implement.

2. Once, in the final frame of a game in which the team is trailing, any player is eligible to PH for a player due up. The batter removed, is removed entirely from the game and his position is now occupied by his PH as usual. i.e. So if Kozma is due up in the bottom of the ninth while you trail batting 8th, he can be pitch hit with Pujols who was batting 3rd. Now Pujols is in the 8 spot and the 3 spot is empty and would need to be filled with another position player. So that makes it available in the top of the ninth, bottom of the 12th if you're trailing. Not truly equitable tho it adds a slight amount to home field advantage.
Tom Verducci suggested this idea under the title "Bonus Batter."

I still don't like the idea, and there are weird kinks you'd have to consider, but it's at least better than 3 hitters and doing it multiple times.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Any change that alters how I fill out a scorecard will meet heavy resistance from this baseball fan.