Maybe The Worst Baseball Idea Yet

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: Maybe The Worst Baseball Idea Yet

Post by dmarx114 »

ndistops wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:I think starting the 11th or 12th inning with a runner 2nd is OK, for regular season games only.
I'd rather end games with a tie than that. And I think ties are a stupid idea.

This desperate need MLB seems to have to fix a 'problem' that comprises such a tiny fraction of their games is so annoying.
It just saves wear and tear on the pitchers if we can end the game in the 11th instead of the 18th. So for the 5 or so times it happens during the year, I can live with this rule.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I don't think a change really needs to be made, but I would prefer that extra inning counts start at 1-1 vs. starting an inning with a runner on base.

For the runner on base, how does that work into your official statistics? Does the runner get a run if he scores? Does the batter get an RBI? I presume the runner that starts on second has to be the player who batted last in the previous inning?

1-1 counts would make getting K's and BB's easier, but they still accumulate correctly (just without as many pitches). That's less wear-and-tear on pitchers, presumably. It may not really shorten the number of extra inning PA's, but it will at least make them each quicker.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Popeye_Card wrote:I don't think a change really needs to be made, but I would prefer that extra inning counts start at 1-1 vs. starting an inning with a runner on base.

For the runner on base, how does that work into your official statistics? Does the runner get a run if he scores? Does the batter get an RBI? I presume the runner that starts on second has to be the player who batted last in the previous inning?

1-1 counts would make getting K's and BB's easier, but they still accumulate correctly (just without as many pitches). That's less wear-and-tear on pitchers, presumably. It may not really shorten the number of extra inning PA's, but it will at least make them each quicker.
Wouldn't you also dampen offense, tho? The statistics thing I think is more of an issue if this were to make it's way to the majors (I don't think it will).

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

vinsanity wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I don't think a change really needs to be made, but I would prefer that extra inning counts start at 1-1 vs. starting an inning with a runner on base.

Wouldn't you also dampen offense, tho? The statistics thing I think is more of an issue if this were to make it's way to the majors (I don't think it will).
I think you could make an argument either way for who it favors. Ultimately I think it would be pretty neutral, but cut down on the number of pitches required by about 25%.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

dmarx114 wrote:
ndistops wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:I think starting the 11th or 12th inning with a runner 2nd is OK, for regular season games only.
I'd rather end games with a tie than that. And I think ties are a stupid idea.

This desperate need MLB seems to have to fix a 'problem' that comprises such a tiny fraction of their games is so annoying.
It just saves wear and tear on the pitchers if we can end the game in the 11th instead of the 18th. So for the 5 or so times it happens during the year, I can live with this rule.
I like the idea of fixing extra innings but I don't think what they're experimenting with in the minors is the right way to do it.

Extra innings can be brutal. By the time you're in to extras you have likely burned through most of your pitchers and double switched some starters. What is left is a bunch of bench or mop up guys trying to scrape across a run with an out-of-order lineup. It's the worst version of the product for the fans, a drain on the players, and a hassle for ballpark staff that are waiting around to close down the ballpark after the game.

Cardinals had 14 extra inning games last year which is around normal for them over the last decade. 8 of those games were longer than 10 innings.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

HOME RUN DERBY HOME RUN DERBY HOME RUN DERBY

It would be fun way to end a game after 10 innings.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I would take any of home run derby, no last calls and $2 off beer for each extra inning, or a winner-take-all race around the warning track between the teams two fastest players.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Dance off

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Why stop there, start with a 3-2 count, make the pitcher throw strikes and the hitter swing.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

pioneer98 wrote:The other thing that pisses me off about this is their assumption that minor league fans won't care, or that minor league fans count less or something so who cares. There are people that prefer the minors because they don't like watching millionaires play, especially if said millionaires are whiny.
Not many minor league fans care about wins and losses.