Great story on Ichiro

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Great story on Ichiro

Post by Spider John »

Ichiro has broken away from his father -- the man who invented Ichiro, the wellspring of all that's good and bad in his life -- but he cannot break away from the man his father created. He cannot escape the patterns burned into him as a boy. His American teammates all talk about how he still polishes his gloves and spikes, as he was taught. He works out every day without break, forsaking even a family, wearing shorts in the freezing Kobe winter. He's made a $160 million fortune and can't enjoy it. He's earned his rest but can't take it. He's won his freedom but doesn't want it. The kid in the essay who wrote of a life away from baseball no longer exists.

Ichiro now does to himself all the things he resents his father for having made him do.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... 83894966=1

Momo
Veteran Player

Re: Great story on Ichiro

Post by Momo »

Ichiro appears to be searching for people and stories to fill the place once occupied by his father. He loves old baseball players and their histories. He formed a relationship with former Negro Leagues star Buck O'Neil, and when the Mariners played the Royals in Kansas City, Ichiro took himself to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. He didn't tell anyone, and they wouldn't have known except for someone in the business office noticing his name on a credit card receipt. When Buck died, Ichiro sent flowers to the funeral and wrote a personal check to the museum in his memory. He's visited the graves of old players whose records he's broken, George Sisler in suburban St. Louis and Wee Willie Keeler in Queens, and in Japan he visits the grave of the scout who discovered him. He remains connected to his own history.
I've read about him doing this kind of stuff, and it still touches me.

The man carries quite a burden. I hope his goal of playing till 50 doesn't permanently break him.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Great story on Ichiro

Post by lukethedrifter »

Read that story. Fascinating.