Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

ST GDT 3/15 STL (Flaherty) vs BAL (Gausman) 12:05 CT

Post by Hoot45 »

9-8 Cardinals
12-8 Orioles

TV: None
Radio: KMOX 1120

Jack has given up 6 ER over his last 6 IP (two starts) and is searching for his first clean sheet since pitching two scoreless innings on 2/23 against Miami.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: ST GDT 3/15 STL (Flaherty) vs BAL (Gausman) 12:05 CT

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

He's starting the year at Memphis anyway. But yeah, he needs to take a step forward. I've never really bought into the hype. Apparently, he's good against guys who barely belong on a major league bench. But I haven't seen where that translates to anything more than a reliever who doesn't blow you away.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:He's starting the year at Memphis anyway. But yeah, he needs to take a step forward. I've never really bought into the hype. Apparently, he's good against guys who barely belong on a major league bench. But I haven't seen where that translates to anything more than a reliever who doesn't blow you away.
Yes, at some point Flaherty needs to take step forward. But, keep in mind that he's only 22 and all of the MLB time he's had so far came at age 21. He ripped through the high minors last year 4-5 years younger than the average age per league.

At age 21, Carlos Martinez had an era over 5 for the Cards. Adam Wainwright still had 2 more seasons in the minors before he got an MLB IP. Weaver had an era close to 6 in his first MLB exposure at age 22. Anyway, Flaherty won't be what he will be yet, but we can afford to be patient with him.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:He's starting the year at Memphis anyway. But yeah, he needs to take a step forward. I've never really bought into the hype. Apparently, he's good against guys who barely belong on a major league bench. But I haven't seen where that translates to anything more than a reliever who doesn't blow you away.
Has Fat pointed out, he's already ahead of schedule. He's gonna be a good one.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Fowler RF
G. Garcia SS
Molina C
J. Martinez 1B
Gyorko 3B
Munoz LF
Voit DH
Mejia 2B
Mercado CF
Flaherty P

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Fowler-Garcia-Molina-Martinez is not quite as exciting as Fowler-Pham-Carpenter-Ozuna.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

It's good to keep in mind how young Flaherty is. But I also think the position the Cardinals have put him in is a little unfair. They should be patient with him, but with question marks around Wacha, Wainwright, and Mikolas plus Reyes' health TBD, it is possible that Flaherty needs to figure out how to pitch in MLB real fast.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Came throwing strikes today. Good on him. He tries to get too fine sometimes, and that's a good way for any pitcher to frustrate me. Good job today. It was a step forward; Schoop has been awesome this spring.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Came throwing strikes today. Good on him. He tries to get too fine sometimes, and that's a good way for any pitcher to frustrate me. Good job today. It was a step forward; Schoop has been awesome this spring.
Yeah that final line looks nice. 4IP, 3H, 1R (HR), 1 BB, 6K.

This should give him something to build on and maybe finish the spring with a good string of starts.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I will be heading out to the Dodgers spring training complex in about an hour - get to see the Royals/Dodgers game. I will be wearing my Cards gear - yes, I am that guy.