43%
Norris
7%

Total votes: 46

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

GRB whipping boy 2018

Post by dmarx114 »

Norris will be my personal whipping boy, but I think GRB will vote a different way.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: GRB whipping boy 2018

Post by cardinalkarp »

My vote is for Wong, or Marp.....they'll be interchanged over the course of the year.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Matheny

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

CardsofSTL wrote:Matheny
Come on now, that's cheating. That's late betting LeBron James beats a toddler in a game of one on one (regulation hoop) when LeBron is spotted a 10 point lead in a game to 11.

I'm going with Wong just because I don't think Norris sticks around long enough to become a whipping boy if he struggles or at the very least, he gets buried in the bullpen and is only used in mop up duty.

I hope they don't give DeJong a huge leash if he struggles from the start since he has options (I believe) and can be sent back to the minors similar to what they did with Diaz last year.

Mikolas... I bet if he struggles out of the gate he'll end up on the DL with some mysterious strain and eventually we won't even remember that the Cards were ever counting on him this season and he won't be back for next season.

The other guys, I just don't think they'll have that bad of a season to be in the running for whipping boy.

I don't even think Wong will be deserving of the position of forum whipping boy but somebody has to have the honor and I have a feeling it will be him. He'll have a solid to very good season at the plate and in the field but he'll make a mistake in two or three spots and some people will never forgive him.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that at least one of those errors that kills the team is a result of trying to hard to make a play on a ball that most second basemen don't get to and he throws it away instead of eating it and it costs the Cards a game. Edit to add: I'll call it the anti-Jeter error based on the analysis and perception of some that the reason Jeter had so few errors was because most of the time he would just let the ball through instead of pushing his boundaries and risk making a mistake.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Wong - why stop now?

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Never Forget

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Mikolas because he should've been Archer.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Radbird wrote:Mikolas because he should've been Archer.
Fair point. It would only be right that the whipping boy gets blamed for something that was completely out of his control actually.

I guess he could have declined to sign with the Cards and told them to trade for Archer but who in their right mind would turn down $15.5M over two years if that's the best offer you're probably going to get?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Mikolas on the field, Mozeliak/Girsch off of it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

My 2018 goal for GRB is at least 45 more threads [expletive] about Carpenter from that Medwick guy.